Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Advise?

Options
Gordo
Gordo Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear Eggers...I am considering on purchasing a BGE. I need to know if I am making a sound all round grilling-smoker and oven decision.. please advise....thank you....gordo

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    gordo,[p]I still tell people it's the best purchase I've ever made. It looks like a lot of money upfront, but the benefits are overwhelming. You won't be sorry for one minute after your first cook, and you'll probably end up buying a second one, then a third one, then . . . [p]Go for it! I'm sure others will chime in and tell you the same.[p]TRex
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    gordo,
    Yes, buy one. It is the best cooker you will ever own. I have used mine every day this year for my family of 4.[p]Your next question will be....What size should I buy? The answer (have you the funds) is a large.[p]A forum recommendation if you live anywhere near the Atlanta area (BGE HQ) might be to buy a cosmetic blemished second from the factory.[p]Even if you don't join the Egg Roll right away, follow this forum for great recipes and advice for grilling and smoking advice.[p]What a great crowd. [p]Kip

• Vegas Slim
    Options
    gordo, go for it! when i lived in the atlanta area i saw them around but never bought one moved west found this forum and took the plunge....it is fantastic!! best thing i have bought and this forum and its members have been the second best thing!!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    gordo,[p]Yes you are.[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    gordo,
    The only way I see that you could be making a mistake is if you really just don't want to mess around with charcoal fires. If you think you want to turn a knob and voila! you are cooking, it won't be like that. If you like building the fire, getting it just right, and producing great food, then it is a great choice. It is also a great all around choice, too. You can smoke low and slow. You can grill. You can roast chickens and pork roasts and prime rib and turkeys. You can make outrageous pizza. You can sear steaks at 800 degrees. You can make beef jerky. You can make naan bread on the inside of the lid. And, I am told, you can even make Atomic Buffalo Turds! :-) When I bought mine, I was concerned that in a couple years I might end up buying a gas grill, but boy was I wrong. I love my egg and I'll bet you will too.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    How true it is! I recently put a new codicile in my will,and that was to use my BGE as a headstone, and put my name on it!
    Hammer

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    gordo, yes. But if after you buy it you don't think so, let us know. People are always looking for a used EGG. There just aren't very many around. People who buy EGGs tend to keep them (and buy more).

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    gordo,
    It does an excellent job with 3 of the 4 major food groups (low 'n' slow barbecue, nuclear meltdown grilling, and hearth-baked bread). The 4th group, adult beverages, is up to you. (I've heard of people egging vegetables, but can't speak from experience.)
    Ken