Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Wings

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Preparing for a weekend of cooking chicken wings on BGE. What is the best way to prepare, cooking temperature, time, etc. What type of rub or sauce is best for chicken wings. Thanks to Shelby, Bluesmoke, and Lovehandles for your prior response to forum registration questions.
When registration is complete I go by Woody. Love woodworking, photography, and cooking on BGE>

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Jimmy Brazelton,[p]Chicken Wings are one of my favorite :-)[p]When I cook them on the egg I season them with any kind of chicken seasoning I have available. I actually like to season one side with one season and the other with another. I am just one of those people that like to experiment with seasonings.[p]My last batch I seasoned with Ken Stones Gilded Splinters, and BGE Seasoning on the other side. I will also spinkle black pepper on them just before removal. The Big Green Egg Seasoning is a good one for almost everything. I like to use it on many things.[p]Get the egg at 350 deg. I prefer to use the raised grid when doing these. No stones, firebricks or anything is necessary.[p]Choose a wood if you want them smoked. I always smoke mine. I think hickory is my favorite for these, and I have used Plum, Maple or Pecan with no complaints.[p]Once the smoke is going strong, put wings on and flip them every 10 minutes. Re-arange them as necessary when flipping to ensure even cooking. Sometimes you will have an area of the grill cooking hotter than the rest.[p]They should take about 30-40 minutes, depending on their size.[p]Take them off when done and serve with your favorite BBQ sauce. They are great with or without the sauce of course.[p]Happy Eggin'!
  • Banker John
    Options
    Hey Woody,[p]"woodworking, Photography & BGE" huh. When you get your table for the egg built, please post pics![p]Welcome to the family.[p]Banker John
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jimmy Brazelton,
    My favorite way to cook them is at about 275 direct on a raised grid, for an hour or more. Flip every 20 minutes or so, quickly so you don't have the lid open too long...which can get the fire too hot. This method gives me the best caramelized color on the outside right when the meat around the bones is done. And allows the fat in the skin to render and crisp up. Usually I'll let the cooker temp rise to 300 for the last few minutes. I have never been able to get great wings in less than an hour of cooking. [p]As far as recipes, look for Tanker Tim's Okinawan Wings, and as recommended below, ChefRD's wings are a real treat. Or just your favorite rub. Hard to mess em up![p]Have fun
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jimmy Brazelton, another good way is to soak them in a Lemon Pepper marinade and then sprinkle good with lemon-pepper before putting them on the grill. I'm with the others at cooking at 300 or so for about 45 minutes to an hour. Good eats.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Boccie,
    Thanks for the kind words - glad you enjoyed the Gilded Splinters.
    Ken

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I agree totally about the time. Usually I do a whole large grill of wings, direct & raised, at 230 to 240°. Cook 2 hours, turn after the first hour.
    Ken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_12_0012_30_03.jpg
    <p />Jimmy Brazelton, you can find my favorites at the link. They turn out about perfect evey time!

[ul][li]ChefRD's Wings +[/ul]
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    My favorite wings are Buffalo style, on the Egg. I rub the wings with salt and pepper, and grill them direct at 350-400, until the skin is crispy. Then I melt some butter and add Frank's Hot Sauce (folow the directions on the bottle). I put the wings in a plastic container, cover them with the sauce, put the cover on the container and shake it to caot the wings. Then I serve them with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks. Very simple and tasty, and not as fatty as deep fried buffalo wings.
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Wow your fella's times are much longer than mine. Funny how cooking methods vary so much.[p]I always have a full grid on the large, and at 320-350deg it takes no more than 40 minutes.[p]I will try the lower and a bit slower method for something new. Maybe I'll like it better. :-)