Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Question

Options
Pibby
Pibby Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should I preheat the pizza stone before I place the pizza dough on it?[p]Thanks,[p]Pibby

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Pibby,
    Yes! Part of the purpose of using a stone is to get the initial burst of heat into the dough which the hot ceramic provides. This makes for a crisper crust and aids the dough in rising.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's pizza hints and tips and random thoughts....[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Banker John
    Options
    Pibby,
    Absolutely preheat the stone. I use a plate setter, legs down with a stone on top of the setter.[p]I will also wipe the stone with a damp washcloth immediately before sliding the dough from the peel to the stone. THe damp washcloth will slightly lower the surface temp of the stone and help equalize the temp (helps avoid hot spots). Be sure to add cornmeal after the damp wipe and before the dough touches the stone.[p]This is not an original trick. Only something I learned here.[p]I also use a pizza screen. Lay dough on the screen and place screen directly on the stone. ( no need to wipe or use cornmeal). Faster & easier but not as nice a presentation of finished product if having company.[p]Remember, it's how you like it :) Just my $.02[p]Banker John