Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to reheat pulled pork

Options
Pastor Mike
Pastor Mike Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having to cook over two days to get enough pulled pork. I need another egg. What is the best way to reheat a lot (20 lbs) of pulled pork.

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I have used the Coke Cola method. It has to be straight coke cola. I put enough coke into the pot to just mosten the already PP. Slowly heat the PP to around 150. I would leave the pork butts whole and heat at 275 for about 1 hour to an internal temp of 150. make sure they are wrapped in sar4an wrap. After reaching the proper temp pull as needed. Good luck, Tom
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Options
    I add a small layer of applejuice to the bottom of the pan and cover with foil. Heat at around 225-250. The idea is add enough juice to the bottom of the pan to steam the pork.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I like to add a finishing sauce like Blue's Hog Tennessee Red and heat to around 200°F in a covered pan.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i did about 35 lbs. (pre-cooked weight) a couple weekends ago for something i had last weekend. i pulled it and froze them after i was done with the whole process.

i let them thaw on their own on the counter and placed it in an aluminum pan and added some chicken broth to it. (pretty neutral flaver that i don't think alters the taste of the meat.

i put it in the oven on 250 covered until it came up to about 200 degrees.
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    I've gotta agree with deepsouth on the method. That gets it warm, keeps it moist and does not alter the flavor like coke, or sauce. Add just enough to keep it moist...easy to add more, tough to take it out.

I've done it without adding any moisture, just in a pan in the oven, sealed VERY tightly with foil, and it reheated just fine without drying out. If it is sealed tight, the moisture that is already in the pork can not escape & there is not much need to add extra.

You do not have to get it all the way back up to 190-200, just warm enough to be warm in the mouth... 120-ish.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    imix the low sodium chicken broth with coke and add 2 tbls to a foodsaver bag and reheat in boiling water, to much coke makes it too sweet for me, the broth cuts it just right.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    The absolute best re-heated pork I ever ate was placed in foodsaver bags and re-heated in boiling water! :whistle:
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    There are some serious potential issues with dropping any food in a plastic bag into boiling water. The water temp potentially causes the release of toxic chemicals/carcinogins. Ziploc officially discourages what may be the most common application of this method which is making an omlet by dumping eggs, etc. into a baggie and dropping it in boiling water.

The method definitely reheats the food while retaining moisture, but the chance of toxicity eliminates this method for me.

I may be over sensitive on this one, but I do not even reheat things in the microwave while they are in plastic containers... glass containers only. Not worth the risk until we know more about what really happens.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Foodsaver bags are intended for use in boiling water. The FDA has approved the materials for food use and food preparation including boiling in water. Companies such as Home Bistro use similar bags for their prepared foods for one. These are meals for those who appreciate good food but do not want to cook for one.

Hoss is right - this is the easiest and safest way to store cooked meats and far and away the best way to reheat. Go for it!!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    What Pyro said.

The Foodsaver and commercial vacuum bags are designed for use in boiling water.

I do, however, totally agree with you when it comes to plastic in the microwave. Glass is fine, plain unprinted paper is fine, but no plastic and definitely no foam take-home boxes.