Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tenderloins--there seems to be so many different opinions on

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so I've done my homework--searched the archives, searched other ceramic cooker forums, and I can't seem to get clear direction on how I should cook these two small (~ 1 lb) pork tenderloins I bought last night. Some say cook direct hot and fast, some say sear then cook low 'n slow with indirect heat. Some say pull at 135, some say pull at 145, others fall in between. The only thing I think most people would agree on is that I should marinate these guys overnight, or at least for a few hours.[p]What have your experiences been? Have you tried direct and indirect, and, if so, which turned out best? What internal temp should I pull at?[p]Thanks for all of your help![p]TRex

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    PorkT_06_13_0017_49_04.jpg
    <p />TRex, never did thme indirect - only takes about 45 minutes at 350 degrees and the results are always about perfect. When to pull depends on how you like your pork rare to well done. I prefer to pull and slice at 145-150.[p]Good luck!

[ul][li]Pork T.[/ul]
  • TRex
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Thanks for the tips and the pictures. Looks great! When you pull at 145-150, what degree of doneness do you get? Some pink, a lot of pink?[p]Thanks again for the help!
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    TRex,
    I agree with GFW on the 350° dome temp. But I you pull them at 140° internal; this gives you a slightly pinkish center. I also like to tie the two tenderloins together big end to little end. That way you get a more evenly cooked product.
    JimW

• JimW
    Options
    JimW,
    BTW, this takes about 35 minutes. Flip them halfway through cooking.
    JimW

• TRex
    Options
    JimW,[p]Could you explain this tying of ends a little more? I saw on GFW's website that he too did some tying, but I'm not sure what was tied to what. Are you saying to tie my two separate tenderloins (one in each package) together or, for each individual tenderloin, tie the ends together? It looks like GFW has only one tenderloin on the grill but he has done some tying. Can you tell I'm confused? I guess I need to take these things out of the packages and see what they look like.[p]Thanks for all of your help![p]TRex
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    TRex, not much pink, but if you prefer done but still tender, pull at about 150-155.[p]I usually (but not always) tie the small tail end back to the larger body so that the whole piece cooks more evenly. If I were doing two at once, I would definately try JimW's idea of tying them together - probably smallend to large, etc.[p]Good luck!

• Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    Options
    TRex, I ran into same problem last week, I did two 1 1/2 lb new years day. I just brought egg to 350, put um on with polder, turned at 20 min, took about 20 more and they were great. I cooked till polder read 160 and I used some chips for a little smoke. Easiest thing I've cooked so far! Don't make it too complicated

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    TRex, don't want to be an alarmist but most places say that minimum temperature for pork is 150. If you pull it at 145 and let it rest for a few minutes, the internal will probably get to 150 so you're safe there but I would hesitate to advise you to pull it at 130-135 even though the likelihood of you having a problem at those temps is quite low (but not as low as at 150).

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    TRex,
    I prefer indirect at about 325°-350° . Pull a 140°! It should take about 45 min or so depending on the size of the tenderloin
    A little pink is a good thing. If you go for the white to grey color the meat will be too durn dry.
    Just say no to overcooked pork!
    Pork production and sanitation methods have changed since the 19th century and the old recommended internal temp of 160° is yesterday's news.

[ul][li]quick pork tenderloin[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    TRex,
    With tenderloins being so lean, I think most go with direct cooks at about 350 for 30-45 mins tops with an internal temp of 140.
    I don't think an overnight marinade is needed.
    As someone said...this is an easy cook yet one that produces a great meal...don't make it too complicated.

• TRex,
    This is one of the best and easiest meals on the BGE. I cover them with yellow mustard and plenty of rub of choice, then let sit in frig for a couple hours if possible. Then cook direct @ 325 - 350*. Flip after 20 minutes, then remove at 153* internal. Wrap with foil and let sit for 15-30 minutes. Slice and serve.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    TRex,[p]I guess I'll be the odd man out here.[p]We love Pork tenderloins "smoked" and then grilled. Fell in love with a great recipe from J Appledog here on the forum.[p]I marinade in orange juice (fresh squeezed best, of course) with a spash or two of Rum and optionally some Jamaican jerk sauce. At least a couple of hours, or overnight for best pepper bite if jerk used. Using cherry chips, they are smoked (225°) to an internal temp of 140° - about an hour. Then covered in foil while the Egg heats up to high grilling temps. Just a minute or so per side will add some color and grill marks and yield a slightly pink center.[p]Leftovers are great for quesadillas.[p]The spice paste from Cat's rib recipe is also great on anything pork IF you like a little heat.[p]K~G[p]

[ul][li]Cat's baby back ribs[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    KennyG,
    A variation on this method, if not smoking, is to split the tenderloins in half length wise and grill over a hot fire: about 5-7 minutes each side.

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]Amen.
  • JimW
    Options
    TRex,
    Just place the 2 tenderloins side-by-side with the fat end of one opposite the skinny end of the other. Tie together with about 4 pieces of string. You will get a package that is the length of 1 tenderloin but of more uniform thickness throughout than a single tenderloin. When slicing, keep the 2 together (after removing the string). This way everyone will get a similarly done piece even though it really is 2 pieces.
    JimW