Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce for Pork Butt

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WHats better with the pork Butt?
Red BBQ SAuce or YEllow Mustard BBQ?

will take some recipes if you have them handy

thanks again

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    That could start a war!

I think one of the best things about pulled pork is that it really doesn't need any sauce at all. This leaves the choice of sauce completely up to the sandwich maker. I like mustard sauce sometimes. If you're interested in a recipe, my wife makes a thin vinegar sauce that combines with cole slaw and pulled pork for a sandwich that makes you think you've died and gone to heaven. My all time favorite, though, is Gates from Kansas City. I am not a fan of syrupy BBQ sauce at all. Gates is spicy almost to the point of hot (some wimps say it is hot) with not enough sugar to even register on my taste buds.

But then, my wife says, "If it needs sauce, you did something wrong."
  • Big Papa
    Options
    I would love that recipe of your wifes
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is the link to my favorite bbq sauce.. i usually make and keep a half gallon of it at a time

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2001/messages/70392.htm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big Papa
    Options
    Thanks Bente!!!

ANy Vinegar base sauce recipes you eggers want to share?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    give this one a shot:::

Sauce, BBQ, NC, North Carolina, Traditional, Elder Ward

Ingredients
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 Tbs sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    1 Tbs cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    1 Tbs Tabasco sauce
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp cracked black pepper

Directions:
    1 Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.

Servings: 1
    Yield: 2 cups

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Author: Elder Ward

Source: BGE Forum, Elder Ward

This is the traditional North Carolina sauce I grew up with. This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast. We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good. She hated the mountains. We all loved her folks.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big Papa
    Options
    Thanks a ton Bente.

Going to whiip this up now.

will let you know what i think of it.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    Here's another finishing sauce for pulled pork. Put the brown sugar in the vinegar first, before the other ingredients. If your vinegar is at room temperature, just stir until fully dissolved, otherwise gently heating in a pan while stirring will dissolve it. Then add all the other ingredients and refrigerate. Put in to a dispensing bottle and mix in to the pulled pork. Give a shake before dispensing.

Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
    2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
    1 Teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Options
    great thread, lots of good recipes so far. :)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Sorry for the delay, BP, I had to split a cord of hickory this morning.

You've had plenty of recipes past along that are essentially the same. This one is from one of my favorite barbecue cook books, Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Vaunted Vinegar Sauce

1 cup white vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot red pepper flakes (my favorite)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Keeps indefinitely.