Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pictures of my Butt(s)

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
butts.JPG
<p />Two 7 lb. boston butts put on at 9:00 this morning. Internal presently at 182° and rising for a 7:00 date with some sauce and rolls. Life is good![p]Keep the smoke risin',
Jim

Comments

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    JSlot,[p]That is some nice looking, steamy, hot butt. Would you turn your date over so we can see the other side?[p]Saturday night beers,
    Dave

• JSlot,
    Thanks for the pic.
    How much wood do you use when cooking butts???
    The last couple I have cooked did'nt have much smoke flavor, I used hickory chuncks that would fill about 2 twelve ounce coffee cans. The egg smoked heavy for about 1 hour, but the end result did'nt have much smoke flavor.[p]GaryJ

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    buttsetup.JPG
    <p />I took a photo of the charcoal and hickory chunks before I loaded up the egg. Unfortunately, I was taking photos of the guests last night and accidentally erased it. Here is a pic of my setup, anyway. I put in enough charcoal to come to the top of the firebox with 5 hickory chunks (unsoaked) spaced around on top of the charcoal. I light my charcoal in the center and let it burn outward. I have a grid on the fire ring, with the inverted plate setter on top, drip pan in middle of plate setter, and second grid on legs of plate sitter. The butts went directly on the second grid. Pulled the butts at 7:15 @ 195° internal temp. Used most of the charcoal up over that 9¾ hour cook at ~275°.
  • JSlot,
    Thanks for the info. I'm cooking another Boston Butt for new years day and will use more hickory this time.[p]GaryJ