Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with using DigiQ II

Options
EggME
EggME Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received my new DigiQ II and I'm going to use it for the first time tonight.
Do I get my egg started up before I put the DigiQ II on or do I use it it get the egg started and if I do, how do I do that just open everything right up or just set the DigiQ II to the temperature I want to cook at?

Also when using the Q what do I set the daisey wheel at?

Thank you so much in advance.

Pam

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    1. Put lump in firebox

2. Attach fan to lower draft door.

3. Power on DigiQ. Set Pit temp.

4. Attach pit probe to the stem of the dome thermometer.

5. Light egg, insert plate setter and drip pan if using one, insert all cooking grids, close lid.

6. Set daisy top with petals open. You will close them slightly after the egg is stabilized if cooking at 250.

7. Walk away. Check temps in 15 minutes. Once smoke clears, add meat.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    What I do is get my DQII all set up. Start my fire (I use a torch), let it burn for a minute of so, plug in the unit, set to desired temperature and let it do its thing. You don't want your fire to burn too long before you turn the DQ on as it will over shoot your temperature. The DQ is one of the most clever devises for BBQ on the Egg. Have fun with it.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    You can start it eather way. If you have it in "open lid" mode it will take a little longer to heat up as it will cycle but not over shoot temp set point. With "open lid" off the blower will run steady till temp of pit is reached and over shoot a little. Not enough to worry about so I ususlly run it off till temp is reached then turn "open lid" on. Set the temp you want the pit and be sure to have the pit probe in the Egg. Daisy wheel open about 1/8-1/4 pettle and the dampe on blower open about 1/2 till temp is reached then cut to 1/4 on my medium egg using the 10 cfm fan.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I would add to make sure the Open Lid Detect feature is on as it will bring the unit up to temp with less overshoot.
    The Naked Whiz
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    I want to get into this thread too since I recived my DQ2 last week and haven not used it.

Do you always clip the pit probe to the dome thermometer? I thought we were supposed to clip it to the grate?
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    You can either clip it to the probe or the grate. I clip mine to the probe. A lot of the BGE recipes call for "dome" temperature, therefore you can set your DQII for what the recipe calls for.
  • HungryNephew
    Options
    One thing to remember is that the DigiQ is designed to make sure your temp does not drop BELOW the target. It will not stop it from going OVER.

With my first cook, I woke up at 6 am and figured I'd go check the butt. The internal temp was 220 and the dome temp was 375!!!

What I realized was that the way I had it configured, the natural air flow was too much. I had that "guillotine" door open too wide.