Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round

Options
Smoking Bulldawg
Smoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings to all!
Does anyone have a recipe for cooking eye of round the egg?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    I used Eye of Round for this recipe, and it's still good.

Large Marges pit beef.

Season heavily a 4 to 5 lb sirloin tip roast with salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme- just cover the sucker. Place on a rack in your egg preheated to 375 indirect with drip pan- you want to save the drippings. Roast until your thermometer reads 130 in the center- perfect rare/med rare, you want it tender. Remove and allow to cool. I like to wrap the meat at this point and refrigerate overnight so it slices better. Be sure to deglaze the drip pan with a little water and save all the drippings and broth you've created.
    When ready to slice, fry up 3 tbs olive oil, 6 cloves sliced garlic, 2 green peppers and 2 red peppers (cored and sliced into 1 inch strips), 2 sliced med yellow onions. Sauté all this for 5 mins and add to a large stockpot. Add the drippings / broth from the beef.
    If you have a meat slicer you're golden-- take your roast and slice it as thinly as you can. An electric knife will do the job too or carve away if you can do it thin! Place all the sliced meat and any new juices into the pot.
    Add 2-3 cups beef stock, 1.5-2cups chicken stock, 1/2 cup dry white wine, and a bunch of chopped fresh parsley. Bring to a simmer and cook an hour + 10 mins or so. The meat should be fully cooked through and really tender. Add salt and pepper toward the end to taste- turn everything off and let it rest (overnight is fantastic if you have the patience - but it still tastes great immediately and you'll have plenty left over to see how tender it gets overnight).
    If you live up north and can get good Italian sandwich rolls, go for it. Down here I settle for a good fresh French bread cut up. Dip the bread in the broth and pile it on with meat, peppers, etc. A good jar of hot giardinera (yet another Midwest purchase packed in oil, tough to find down here!), or roasted red peppers goes great.
    Attached some links since I didn't take pics last time- will do so next time- enjoy!
    Source; BGE Forum
    Posted by Large Marge 12-17-07

Beef006.jpg
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Mike,
    Thanks for posting the recipe I'm going to save it. looks like something I would make and enjoy.

Ross
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Lordy these are all waaay too complex. Are you looking for some good sliced beef? Coat the hell out of it with your favorite Dizzy rub or just a ton of coarse pepper and a little kosher salt. Stick it on a rack and cook it about 325 until it is at the most 135 internal. Take it off and wrap it like you would a brisket..in foil and then a beach towel. Let it cool and slice it as thin as you can with a slicer. Every time it will be the best piece of roast beef you've ever had. I raised an entire child (as opposed to part of a child) on bagels with this roast beef and said child turned out great. Mad Max and others will attest to this.

mShark
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I like the KISS method. Will definitely try this. Thanks!
    Anne