Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Potato: low & slow Q

StanleyStanley Posts: 623
edited 6:50PM in EggHead Forum
In the last few days someone posted about baking a spud along with a low & slow cook. Heck if I can find the post when I need it! I know it's not the preferred method, but I'm cooking other stuff @ 250° dome and thought I'd throw on a couple. 3 hours, maybe?

Comments

• StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    It was Civil Eggineer, and it was 250°, 3 hrs., indirect.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Stanley,

Thanks for the post. I decided to google the subject and found an interesting article at http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PotatoBaking.htm

Kent
  • Actually, it was my thread and I had cooked the taters at 250, indirect for 3 hours with no noticeable affect. I cranked it up, went direct and cooked them another hour and they were done. I know civil Eggineer said it worked for him, but I don't see how. Mine were still rock hard after 3 hours.

I think what I will do next time is try it (thighs and taters) at 300 and see how that works after 2 or 3 hours.

Kent- great link! I always wondered at what temp baked taters were done!
    Mine are on at 270°, raised grid, direct, with my target time 3 hrs. Wish me luck!
  • I think you'll be fine- what else is cooking with them?
  • My tators came out perfect at 250 dome temp for 3 hours. Not sure why Flashback Bob's weren't done as he posted. Mine were naked (no foil) and lightly spritzed with EVOO. Let us know how they come out! I also forgot to poke them but nothing exploded.
    I'm doing WessB's UnFried chicken with some legs & thighs. Didn't poke my spuds. I'll report.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    if it is still rock hard after three hours, call a doctor.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    Interesting. I never poke the spuds and never had one explode either.

I am going to try some low temp spud cooks. Love potatoes on the egg.

GG
    Flashback Bob wrote:
    great link! I always wondered at what temp baked taters were done!

I wonder how accurate the info is. I always wondered about foiling and not foiling. Before reading that my only reason not to foil was the flavor of the lump wouldn't get to the spud.

Kent
    let us know how everything turns out. Pict's are good.

Kent
    That's so funny!
  • I think you only need to poke them when cooking in microwave.

Yeah, C.E.- funny how we both cooked 'em the same way, same time and temp and one was perfect and one had barely started cooking!

go figure!
    Spuds were excellent! 3 hrs., raised grid, direct @ 270° dome. Very light coating of EVOO and light sprinkle of Kosher salt. The potato flesh was perfect. The skins were fine and edible, though I would have preferred them a bit crisper.

WessB's unfried chicken was great too, though it bears little resemblance to its namesake. Roasted a beet (EVOO, S&P, wrapped in foil) for the same 3 hrs. as the spud. It was great too.

Luckily, I didn't need to call the Dr.