Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Get Strange Flavors from the EGG?

Options
Craig
Craig Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I sometimes get some "off" flavors sticking to my food from the EGG. It typically seems to happen when I use an oil base for marinating. For instance, I've had it when I've drizzled some zucchini with olive oil and then grilled it. Last night the chicken breasts I grilled had the "off" flavor too (they were marinated in italian dressing).

The best way to describe this "off" flavor is that it's kind of a nasty smokey flavor. Not a good smokey flavor, but a nasty smoke.

I let the egg come up to temperature, and I also wait for the exhaust through the top vent to be clear prior to cooking. This usually takes around 1/2 hour.

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    i suspect you are dripping oil into the lump and are tasting burnt oil..
    also i have notice if i have too much crud from a greasy cook left on my grate, that crud eventually starts to smoke and it is not good..
    clean your grid and try less oil.

how to clean your grid clic the pic

th_minisausage015.jpg
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Craig,

How are your damper and vent set? I describe what you're explaining as a "sooty" taste rather than a smoky taste. I've seen it happen when the top vents are almost completely closed and the bottom damper is used to control burn temperature. I make it a habit to always make sure the top is more open than the bottom. Since doing this, I have never experienced sooty taste again.

It could also be over-smoked. Even if you wait for the blue smoke, if you have too much wood on the fire, the smoke can seem too heavy. I think you would recognize over-smoke, however, so take a look at how you're setting the vent and damper.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Two things may be coming into play I'm guessing. Oil smoke as Bill mentioned is one thought. The other is that the 'wet' food ie oiled food is collecting the smoke particles ie smoke flavor more so than other things.

I've cooked things that tasted great the day I cooked them and when reheating leftovers (microwave not Egg) I can tell it has a lot smokier flavor......kinda too much.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good description of your problem and Good responses!

I know what you mean about nasty smoke. I have seen it generated from two causes resulting in two different kinds of smoke.

1- drippings as mentioned earlier, will create a bitter smoke.
    2- Lump that hasn't burned enough gives off sort of a fuel-smelling smoke.

Sometimes you get a bad batch of lump. I had some once that I had to burn for an hour and still wasn't sure if it was ready.

I agree with the earlier hypothesis that the oil is dripping on the coals causing bitter smoke. Chicken and vegetables are particularly sensitive to smoke anyway so they'd be most likely to suffer the effects.

I'd recommend cooking indirect or at least with a drip pan for these kinds of cooks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    olive oil burns (smokes) at a fairly low smoke point.

lots of recipes recommend, say, using olive oil (or any oil) on meat when grilling. for roasting it is fine, or for pan searing, but at the temps we sear at, oil will burn, providing no benefit other than acrid flavors.

though fashionable perhaps beloved "EVOO" isn't always the best thing to use.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Options
    I grill veggies a lot and always use evoo. I brush it on lightly. If it's drippy, yeah, the oil will burn. I think dhuffjr's got it right. The oiled zucchinis may capture bad stuff in the smoke. I've had that experience when I'm too impatient to wait for the lump to fully light or I stupidly dump in the dust from the bottom of the bag.
    Paul
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. grilling veggies i usually use olive oil too, but not drippy as you say. i think that's th key.

i had a tritip marinating once and much of the marinade was oil. i had the egg at sear temps, and fa-FOOM that thing flared up like crazy. i had that acrid taste too.

but zukes and squash at 400-450 don't give me much of a problem.

i see you, bob, and i are the only guys not going to eggtoberfest, eh?

going to be quiet around here.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    This weekend while you guys are tending the home fires out East I'll be doing the same out here in the Midwest. Yes it will be more quiet than usual, but not that quiet! BTW stike - by your long absence I figured you had another paying illustration gig going.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    Options
    no. not any more work than usual i mean.

just not a lot going on here besides the eggfest talk. i'm not going, so have nuthin to add to it.

went golfing yesterday with my dad before he and mom fly south for the winter, so i was out for a while.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    No Stike at Eggtoberfest???????
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    He has pumpkin carving he needs to concentrate on.
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys. I appreciate it. I have a nice little list of things to look out for. Here are some of the things from your list that could be my problem:
    Too much lump
    Top vent closed too much
    Too much oil
    Dirty grate

I'll look into those things. Thanks again!