Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitarkus' bail out plan

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well...the lucky ones have just seen their IRA's and savings go down. The unlucky ones have lost their jobs and houses. I decided I needed a "bail out plan" of my own...and I wanted it to be tasty.

I had some free time today :blink: and I was trying to think of cheap and EASY meals that I could have ready to egg. Pizzas are always such a pain in the butt....but oh so tasty. Such a treat! Well...after referring to Cooks Illustrated and counteless other resources....I found a method that works great and keeps me in fast pizzas.

I tried two recipes today. One is for the 75 minute dough which uses all purpose unbleached flour and rapid rise yeast. I made enough for 4 of the 12" pizzas..let it rise fully....then punched down....split into four equal 9 oz. patties/balls....lightly spritzed with olive oil...sealed in saran wrap...and quickly into the freezer. I then made an 8 hour dough (I have to go punch down and pack at 10:30 tonight) which uses bread flour and regular yeast. I will yield 8 crusts all of which are individually wrapped.

I then used a 28 ounce can of Whole Foods fire roasted whole tomatoes...with 2 TB of olive oil...and three large minced garlic cloves...simmered down to pizza sauce consistency with some of Penzey's Italian herbs...a little salt...a little pepper. Smells delicious. I split this into 3 separate 6oz freezer ziplocks which I lay flat as a pancake and freeze. It is thin...so you can just float it into hot water and defrost.

The pizza dough also defrosts surprisingly quickly when left out in room temp. and loosen up the saran wrap. As long as you let the dough rise fully prior to splitting and freezing...you'll have a tasty dough that you'll never know was frozen. I find the dough is a touch more difficult to work with (more elastic) after freezing. Be careful NOT to add to much flour while working the dough and before freezing. Chances are you'll have to add a little flour when you go to make a pie after the defrost just to get it working...so let the dough be a touch sticky before freezing...no problems.

So all I need to do is cut up some fresh toppings and add cheese and I'm set to go. I can fire up the egg and have fun with it instead of having a TON of dishes and time and mess. This also costs nearly nothing to do. I could likely make 20+ pizzas for the cost of one delivery/carryout from my local joint.

See...I just "bailed myself out". Now...If I could only make myself buy the $4 beer instead of the $10 beer to go with my pizza....I'd save the whole country :whistle:

Peace, Love, and Pizza.

Jason

Comments