Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought a Small Pork Shoulder - now what?

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought a 4 1/2 lb pork shoulder arm "picnic portion" from the grocery store. It complete with bone & skin. I'd like to try a smokey low 'n' slow but have experience of this only with beef briskets. Could someone give me some guidance on preparation, rubs, cooking times, meat temperature etc.? Many thanks.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p]Pulled pork is what you do with it and it's like brisket cooking. Take it up to 200° internal slowly and let it cool an hour or two. Then pull off the sections and cut out any fat and fiberous parts. Then shred it up - I use two forks and "pull" it apart. Add Bun, Sauce, and Enjoy.[p]I am doing two boston butts. They are the other half of a shoulder - the picnic is the other part. I remove the skin (personally) but others don't on the picnics. I have mine sitting in Dizzy Dust course rub waiting for the time to go into Mr Cooker. Figure a long cooking time - 15+ hrs for that one. Do it indirect with a drip pan.[p]Ti