Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Max Size Turkey for Medium EGG?

Help, I need to order my fresh turkey and need to know max size of poundage for Medium EGG. Thanks!

Comments

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Laine,
    From the literature it shoul dbe 12-15 pounds.
    MODEL GRILL TURKEY Capacity
    Large 15+ lbs
    Medium 12-15 lbs
    Small 10-12 lbs
    Mini NO Turkey That small [p]

• MarvinMarvin Posts: 515
    Laine,
    We've done a 17# on the medium.

• Wise One,
    Thanks for your help. Would you know if it is possible to have a drip pan on the new lower rack option with this size bird? Thanks again, Laine

• Marvin,
    Thanks so much Marvin. I asked this additional question to Wise One..Do you know if it is possible to use a drip pan on the new lower rack option? Thanks again, Laine

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Laine, I have never done a turkey this size on my medium but I would suggest placing a pan directly on the grill with with a rack or sitter in the pan. Any juices that drip will surely be charred but the turkey will be great. ANother suggestion is to remove the clip on the dome thermometer. That way if it hits the turkey it will push out rather than imbedding itself in the turkey.

• MarvinMarvin Posts: 515
    Laine,
    I'm not familiar with that option. I use the grill extender; that is large enough. Also firebricks (two lying down and two standing on edge also work. Have fun.

• Wise One,
    I've also done them with the drip pan right on the lump and a grill rack on top of the pan with great success.