Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Cook: Divine Inspiration Marinade

Options
jimbotron
jimbotron Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a marination dream last night, and woke up and wrote down the recipe: white miso, apple cider, grated onion, hot paprika, black pepper, ginger powder, olive oil, bourbon.

Not bad, huh? So I did it. I marinated the latest in my endless supply of skinless boneless chicken thighs in the above concoction, then egged them at 400 direct. Served with saffron brown rice and steamed broccolini.

Result? Almost exactly the same result as my naked, unseasoned, untouched chicken thighs last night.

Lesson learned: there's a place for marinades and such, but 1. you can't be subtle (I should have ramped up the seasoning proportion), and 2. egg cooking's so intrinsically good that you don't really need it.

One thing I did notice was some rough smoke flavor in the meat tonight, which I didn't have last night. I added new lump to old, lit it, waited 10 mins open and a few mins closed, but the egg was still emitting white smoke. I got impatient and proceeded anyway. Mistake, I guess. But why was it taking longer tonight than yesterday, when tonight there was a lower percentage of raw charcoal?

Comments