Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

party planning

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on some bbq for my daughter's second birthday this Saturday. I would like to do a flat-only brisket and some pulled pork. Both have been successfully done before, but not at the same time.[p]First question: I will be cooking these simultaneously on one large egg. What can I do to ensure a very distinct taste? I would really like to use hickory to smoke the pork and mesquite for the beef. Can I smoke one for an hour, pull it off and the throw some other wood chunks on and smoke the other, then after an hour put the first back on and finish both off? If I do this which should I smoke first? Or, would it be easier to just use two distinct rubs and only one type of wood?[p]Second question: Timing. Most likely I will be cooking about a 6 pound flat-only brisket. I get my pork butts from a local farm. They normally cut them small, around 4 pounds. I can special order something larger, around an 8 pounder. What kind of cook time am I looking at for either the 6 pounds of brisket and one 8 pound butt or 6 pounds of brisket and the two smaller butts? Any advantage of one over the other? The party starts at 3 pm so whatever avoids a middle of the night or crack of dawn start would be appreciated?[p]Thanks