Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Went Out in the Middle of the Night

Options
BillyV
BillyV Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing a pork butt and the fire went out during the night. It had been cooking for approx 8 hours. I'm guessing the fire went out about 3 hours ago. Will I be safe in just re-lighting and continuing the cook?[p]Many thanks,
Bill

Comments

• BillyV,[p]Almost too many factors to make that call. Rule of thumb - err on the side of safety.[p]You're allowed four hours total in the danger zone of 40 - 140 degrees. That's total including all the way pack to being processed. You said it cooked for eight hours. Without knowing it's original weight it's tough to answer. Did the butt get above 140? Is there any chance it is still above 140 degrees? If so, fire your egg back up. If not, I would not want to chance making someone sick over a $10 piece of meat no matter how much time and effort went into cooking. It's just not worth the risk to me.[p]Chalk this one up to experience and start over. It will make you appreciate the finished product even more.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Rodney,
    This is EXACTLY why I wish there were a relatively inexpensive recording thermometer that could be fitted with a Polder probe. Even if you read the temp at the instant the fire went out, all you know is what it was then, what it is now, and how long it took to get here.
    I'm with you. "When in doubt, toss it out." (Personally, I'd fire up if the current temp were anywhere above the mid 130's, while holding the shoulder in the oven at 300º)
    Ken

• BillyV
    BillyV Posts: 16
    Options
    Rodney,
    Thanks. Switched to a beef brisket.[p]Bill