Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipes for smoked trout anyone?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a good day on the river yesterday, and brought back some trout to try smoking. I have a couple small trout (about 14in) and a couple large trout (around 23in) so that I can try different recipes on them all. Not being one to bring home fish (I'm a catch-and-release lady normally, since there's a you-keep-em-you-clean-em rule in effect in the house), I can't say I've tried any trout recipes on the egg. I searched the archives, but came up zilch. Suggestions anyone?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Taste Bud,
    Just sit tight and wait for the pictures. It will probably just be a few minutes before you get some good responses. I can't remember who posted it, but there are a few great posts with pictures. Nice catch! Do you have any pictures?
    Seth

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Taste Bud,[p]See the submitted recipe:[p]http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/seafood0253.htm[p][Don't know if the link pasted but it is under seafood.][p]
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Taste Bud,
    I like to season mine with seasoning salt, lemon pepper and garlic poweder. I brush the skin with olive oil and put on the egg as soon as the fire is going a bit. I bring the temp up to 250 and smoke for one hour, turning half way through. With those big 23" trout you may need a little more time. If you like a very light smoke flavor, alder works well. For a little more smoke flavor, try apple or pecan. I'm going to use hickory on my next trout just for something different.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    trout1.jpg
    <p />Taste Bud,[p]Fresh trout, makes my mouth water just think about it. These are some that I smoked using the linked recipe. They come out fantastic, definately a family favorite. Man I wish I was out on a river fishing instaed of sitting at this desk. Let us know what you do and how they come out.[p]Chuck <><

[ul][li]Smoked Trout[/ul]
  • Seth Howard,[p]I didn't bring my camera with me to the river, but have had nothing but grief since I got home with the fish about not having any pictures! Sheesh. You'd think a fisherman would lie or something. <G> I finally just took a pix or two of them in my sink just to quiet the naysayers. I post them on dotPhoto.com normally, because I've never been able to get the posting to this forum correct. *sigh*
  • Thanks for the recipes. (I LOVE this forum.) I'm brining one of the larger fish, and marinating the two smaller ones with BigGreenEgg recipes now. The last large one will be done ala Steve-O for supper tonight.[p]Will let you know how everything turns out.[p]Thanks again.[p]Taste Bud
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Taste Bud,
    The pix of the trout on the egg are great; however, PLEASE leave the heads on and cook them whole. Don't know why, but the flavor seems to be much better this way. I guess I like them this way because we had to die for trout in Italy and it was always served this way.....olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh rosemary twigs tucked inside with lemon slices. Yum, yum.