Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

cooking a butt direct

fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cooked one direct this weekend just to see what would happen, also went fishing to see if fish could be caught during hurricane hannah . these were both great ideas, the storm really brought the fish up and it was a blast, sorry i didnt take a fish pic as the water was just too warm to take the time for a pic and release them unharmed. anyways heres the cook, used less lump than usual, could have used a third less and the egg easily burned at 225 for16 hours (very little lump gets used during a direct low and slow compaired to the same cook direct.
DSC_0185.jpg

8 pound boneless butt with very little fat, next time i will use a fattier piece as the fat dripping into the hot lump posed NO problems at these temps
[img]DSC_0186.jpg

hurricane hannah, or what was left of here, my legs are feeling the pain of a rocking boat this morning

DSC_0187.jpg

butts been basted with a vinegar hot pepper and lemon baste with thai and cayenne pepper added as well as some firewalk, thank you azrp for the baste recipe i did kick this up with some heat though, not bad
DSC_0190.jpg

i took a pic of the leftover lump to show how little was used for this cook, thats 16 hours at 225 degree dome
DSC_0191.jpg

off the egg for an hour in the cooler
DSC_0192.jpg

i big chunck of cherry and a hanful of mesquite chips and it was good, next time i find a butt with thwe bone

DSC_0195.jpg

Comments