Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey -- better cooked on vertical roaster or horizontal?

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As it gets close to Thanksgiving, wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy a vertical turkey roaster, or just cook the bird regular horizontal? Which method is better? How big a turkey will fit vertically on the roaster in a large Egg? Thanks!

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Mike,There have been past postings of a 28 pound turkey cooked vertically and also of three [3] 13 pound turkeys cooked vertically, all three at one time in a large. I have no opinion on vertical vs. horizontal, but suspect the answer is that you will get "eggcellent" results either way.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Mike,
    I've done them both ways, and they are both excellent. The problem with the vertical roaster is enough height. If the turkey is much over 15 pounds, the vertical roaster might have to rest on the cooking grate at the level of the firebox. If that's the case, you must watch your temps carefully since you are closer to the fire.

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    Mike,
    Last Thanksgiving I cooked an 18 lb turkey on a vertical roaster in my large egg. It barely fit; part of the turkey was in the vent stack. It was the best tasting turkey I have ever cooked.
    Rich

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Mike,
    Since my house loves turkey, I always cook a 20+ pound bird and I haven't been able to get a bird that size on a vertical roaster. So, I go with horizontal, directly on the grill over a drip pan.

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    Rich,
    How well were you able to control the temperature so that the breast meat on the turkey was'nt over cooked and dry, and the dark meat was just right too.
    Thanks,
    Ed