Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Advice

Options
Mañana Mike
Mañana Mike Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday at 6 PM I have 40 coming for Pulled Pork (first time for most I bet) Here's my plan & I would like any advice you have as this is only the second time I have done pulled pork.[p]I am following Elder Wards advice & recipe. I plan on putting 4 x 7 lb. butts on HIS GREENESS at about 5 pm tonight (Wednesday) hopefully everything will go as Sr. Ward says & it will be done tomarrow early afternoon. Then I will pull it and put it in pans to be re-heated on Friday before the big event. This way if I screw up, I have an extra day to deal with it & also I don't stay up all night before the event & am a zombie.[p]Sound OK? These Oregonians are used to pulled Spotted Owl so I want to introduce them to the real thing. Here's hoping![p]Manana
Mike

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Manana Mike,[p]Don't try to use 200° dome. Go higher - like 225-240° and don't sort the lump.[p]Good luck, have fun.[p]Tim
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Tim M,
    I agree with you about not sorting the lump, except to get rid of the very small pieces of junk. I have tried it both ways and had better luck without sorting. The fire actually seemed to burn longer and more uniformally without sorting. I also think that by sorting, and getting the all the smaller lump at the top, there was a lot more ash initially and it seemed to restrict airflow(causing more fiddling with the vents). I don't think that the ash fell down through the larger lump as well intended by using the sorting technique.[p]Just my unscientific experience.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    CR,[p]I agree with your assessment. I try to avoid the bottom of a bag when going for the long overnight cooks. All that dust prevents airflow very well and your fire goes out.[p]Tim
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Manana Mike, if you have 4 7-pounders, you can expect them to be done in 14-16 hours (2-2.25 hours per pound) If you start at 5PM today, look for them to be done by 7AM tomorrow. You may wish to start a little later.

• Manana Mike,
    You may want to cook the butts to an internal temp of say 190 to 195º tops. The reason is if you take to higher finish temp, on the reheat it won't be as moist.
    Jim[p]

• Manana Mike,
    What Jim said.
    Also, on the Egg you don't have to stay up to babysit them.
    I throw mine on at about 10pm, stablize the temp, than hit the sack.
    Hard to really screw them up, so get your beauty sleep, I says.
    Doc Pigg

• FlaParrotHead
    Options
    Wise One,[p]We just did 2 x 6 1/2 (boneless) butts this weekend and we were right at 18 hours for an internal temp of 200. The dome temp was at or about 225 the entire cook. [p]I did a partial sort of the lump (did avoid the shake) and it was the best slow/low cook to date as far as temp control, NO flame outs and only a few minor vent adjustments needed during the cook (and they probobly were not even really necessary).[p]-b