Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Steaks

Options
Eggspert
Eggspert Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could anyone help me out and tell me how to get the steaks blackened or charred? By the way, i have a cast iron grid.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    i dont like too heavey of a char anymore, just nice grill marks, but if you turn the cast iron grid with the flat side up, heat it to 800 degrees, and keep the dome open for the sear so it gets engulfed in flames, you will get more char. these were trexed with a heavey sear as described, ive heard you need to do a reverse sear to get a nice even red color throughout, im not thinking that is true

d73fa1c6.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I'm going to be a little generic here because I'm not really sure what your after. When I want to blacken a steak, I will get a flat piece of cast iron (griddle, skillet with handle cut off) as close to the lump as I can. You want the CI VERY hot. Coat your meat with softened butter then liberally sprinkle your blackening seasoning all over the meat. I like Paul Prudhomme's blackened seasonings for both meat and fish. Timing for doneness is tricky because the heat is intense(Wear long heavy gloves, preferably welders' gloves!) and the meat cooks very, very quickly. Blackening with this method also produces enormous amouts of smoke immediately. It will take some practice on your part to get it right. Hope this helps. Mark
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    thanks for your help.