Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

St Louis Ribs 3-1-1 or 3-2-1?

OpusXcellentOpusXcellent Posts: 60
edited 10:20AM in EggHead Forum
I picked up some St Louis style ribs for tomorrow and wondering what would be the better cooking method. I keep reading that 3-1-1 is good for baby backs and the 3-2-1 is good for spare ribs thanks for the help.

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i think an hour in foil is more than enough for either method. usually end up around 45 minutes, myself.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Agreed...two hours would leave you with mush.

My next rib cook's gonna be Carwash Mike's hail mary ribs: No foiling.
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I agree,two hrs is gonna be too long.I did these 3/1/1 and they were pretty darn good :woohoo: Babybacks on the left,St. Louis on the right :)

030-2.jpg

022-6.jpg
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    if i only have a limited amount of time, or am cooking a bunch of ribs for a crowd, i foil. otherwise i ride out the 8 or 9 hours....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    3-1-1 works good for spare ribs. I tried a longer foil once, went 1&1/2 hours and I got this;
    IMG_5205.jpg
    IMG_5206.jpg
    "Tender Lickin Good", if you want them that way.
    IMG_5210.jpg

Good luck tomorrow!
  • I'd take'm that way. Tasty lookin'.