Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Convince me to get BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I agree with Randy, that's a very cool graphic.
  • Kingsville Eggers
    Options
    This is probably the best thing we ever bought. I am new to the egg (and to this forum) and have not had any difficulties cooking. Learning is part of the fun. I always find I can do better with a small variation. This forum has been a great help as well. Lastly the taste is what has me convinced. I cant wait until dinner.(Did I tell you I love my egg?)
  • sear

brandingiron008.jpg

brandingiron011.jpg

smoke {bacon}

porkgasm003.jpg

porkgasm006.jpg

roast
    persimmonandpeppers005.jpg

just about anything you want to do can be done on the egg, food from the egg tastes better and is jucier
  • RATRED
    RATRED Posts: 17
    Options
    I have several cookers now and have given others to friends when I upagraded. The largest will hold 36 slabs of ribs,up to a 100# whole hog, any combination of ribs, hams, shoulders, chicken, sausage, brisket, etc. If I had to have just one grill it would be my big green egg. It is the highest quality, easiest to use, and most dependable and consistent of them all. Add to that the support of the forum and you can not make a better choice. The only question is what size works best for you.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Reason No. 5 -- The food tastes so much better. :)

Reason No. 4 -- When converting to charcoal, you no longer have the yukky taste of gas in your food. ;)

Reason No. 3 -- You'll notice immediately that the food won't get all dried out, and the natural taste of the food will come through. B)

Reason No. 2 -- Your family, your guests -- all will ask how you suddenly made your food taste so much better! :silly:

Anf finally, Reason Numero Uno -- Have I mentioned Taste? :laugh: :laugh: :whistle: :cheer: :ermm: :laugh: :laugh:

~ Best!

~ Broc
  • andy_b
    andy_b Posts: 77
    Options
    How does one add more wood (apple, mequite etc) during a long slow cooking process? There does not appear to be an access point that I can see in pictures..

Do you have to take the food out, then the grills, then the plate setter to access the charcoal to lay the wood on?
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Scatter a few chunks around in the charcoal prior to lighting. It will burn continuously during the cook.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Long Legged Egger
    Options
    You shouldn't need to add more lump for anything you cook as long as you fill the fire box properly before starting. Look at The Naked Whiz web site for more helpful info plus the correct way to build a fire to last for a long low and slow cook.
  • andy_b
    Options
    I must be wording this wrong.

I am not referring to the pieces that produce the heat (the hard lump charcoal).

I am referring to the pieces of wood that add the smokey flavor (like an apple wood). Unless I am totally missing something with the hundreds of times I have smoked on my little electric smoker, there is no way one of these chunks of apple wood is going to last hours. They usually dissolve into ash with in 2 hours.

Perhaps the size chunks I am using are too small for what one would use in a BGE..
  • Long Legged Egger
    Options
    Wood for smoking will only last for short while. Say if you are doing pulled pork for example, once the meat forms the bark (crust) on the outside, in the first hour or two any more smoke isn't going to do much for the rest of the cook.
  • Your wording is fine. Chunks (2.00 x 2.00 inches, for instance, will smoke for a long time in the egg. The whole thing is a balancing act between the amount of air you allow into the egg, and how much heat the egg can produce with that amount of air: any smoking wood lasts much longer in the egg because of this environment. Put a little wood where the fire is first burning. Then put a chunk or two where the fire WILL BE burning later: not all of the lump will be ignited at the same time like it would be with, say, Kingsford. Some people mix a little wood at different vertical levels, throughout the lump, as they put it into the firebox.
  • andy_b
    Options
    Thank you, that was very well explained.

I did not realize that there would be different points of heats on the hard lump charcoal. I kind of assumed that they would all heat up in the chimney before they were added to the BGE...

So much to learn :)
  • You probably don't want a whole load of lump all burning at once, as you could use the heat to smelt ore.
    What most do is to fill the fire box with lump and then use whatever method is in vogue with them at the time ( I am currently still on the mapp gas kick) to light the lump in several places. As it burns, the fire will slowly move to consume the un burned lump. The rate is determined by the amount of air that is allowed into the environnment. For example, with a pork butt at 250°, just a little lump can be burning at any one time, as there is only enough air to allow a small fire. Therefor, you can go about a hundred years on one load of lump, as the fire very, very, slowly creeps down and around the fresh lump in the firebox.
  • A neat thing about the egg is that when one is through cooking, one has only to close the lower vent and place the cap on the top, and the fire will extinguish. All of the unburned lump will be ready for the next cook. Or even the one after that.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Have you brought your new egg home yet?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    Andy, this is my first summer with the Egg. If you are enjoying the smoker you have and your gas grill, you will absolutely love the Big Green Egg.

I've done pizzas, nachos, tenderloins, steaks, burgers, sausages, chickens, london broils, and more and everyone raves about the flavor, moistness, and tenderness coming off the Egg.

I'm looking forward to learning more, but the quality and uniqueness of the product combined with the support and creativity you get on this forum make it an extremely enjoyable experience.

Let us know what you decide. Cheers, Erik