Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tn. North Al. Eggers Eggfest?

Options
Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back there was talk of a fest in Huntsville, any more thoughts. Just curious as I am unable to attend Eggtoberfest.

Walt

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds Fun, I would go.
  • Cecil
    Options
    Ron, There was a small rumble of this a month or so ago, I was just following up. I hope it happens.

Walt
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I remember a thread about a possible eggfest in the Knoxville area. I would go to any eggfest in TN but I think it would be most successful if held in the Nashville area due to the central location. Only a few hours from Memphis, Kentucky, Alabama, and north Georgia.

I actually wrote to BGE corp. about sponsoring an eggfest at the Nashville TN State Fairgrounds. This is a huge facility which hosts one of the 10 largest flea markets in the US on the last weekend of every month. The eggfest could rent some outdoor space pretty cheap with local dealers / cooks presenting and there would be an audience of many thousands of people on each of the 3 days. People come in from all over the US for this event. They have RC and camper spaces, plenty of parking, shuttle buses, ATMs, electric, sheltered spaces, indoor spaces, heat / air conditioning, you name it. Would be ideal since visitors could stay nearby or even on site if they bring a camper, and everyone would be able to enjoy the flea market and downtown Nashville attractions when they are done stuffing themselves with egg food. Should make a lot of sales too. I volunteered to assist with the planning and to cook / demo as well but I never got a reply from BGE which I thought was strange so I dropped it.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I would like to do something. I have talked to our local store and they already do a sidewalk thing once a year and were unsure. We could rent a pavilion on Monte Sano. I may have another option, but that site would be difficult to find. It is just north of New Market.
  • Cecil
    Options
    I am in Nashville, would love to have it here, actually my he store is not far from fairgrounds. Hearth and Grill is the closest dealer. There is also a smaller one in the Cool Springs area called Embers. I would love to help, just don't know what to do.

Walt
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Walt - I was thinking that Hearth'n'Grill would probably want to be the main sponsor since they are a pretty big dealer. They hired an ex-BGE employee and he is very passionate about the egg, focuses on selling nothing but the egg. I am not quite sure how you go about starting an eggfest, but I assumed you had to contact BGE first and then get a local dealer as a sponsor. I sent a very detailed email to a senior rep at BGE and did not receive any response. Maybe you could stop by H'n'G and see what they think about the idea? The only issue is that we need to move fast if we hope to have a fest at the fairgrounds. We only have a few months left of good weather for outdoor attendance so we would need to start planning now. I am willing to do a lot of planning, cook / demo, and can provide technology support as well such as a dedicated website.
  • Cecil
    Options
    I could pop by and inquire, that would be a start. I bought two eggs and several other things from them so possibly we can get things started.

I know they had cooking competition last spring, a couple of eggs.

Would love to see what can happen, Friday afternoon rush is upon me, feel free to e-mail.

Going to Titans game tonight, I'll be at work all day tomorrow.

Walt
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I just spoke to the former BGE guy at H'n'G. He thought it was a great idea and put me in touch with Steve, their sales manager. I left a voicemail for Steve with basic info and will update this thread if he gets back to me.
  • Cecil
    Options
    Great, keep me in the loop.

Walt
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    Options
    I live in huntsville. They need one here because when I talk to people about cooking on the green egg they get a blank stare and look at me like I am crazy. The dealers here are more interested in their major business to promote the Bge. I agree with the nashville area or here but if Bge is not interested then who do you turn to?
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I just spoke with the TN State Fairgrounds office and they were aware of the egg, thought it would be a great idea to hold an eggfest at one of the next flea market events. I am waiting for the flea market manager to call me back to discuss details, which I hope to pass on to the local dealer later today.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I would go to one in Huntsville or Nashville. great idea!
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    More good news. The September and October flea market events are the largest events of the year. They have over 2,500 vendors and more than 60,000 people per day! The flea market organizers offered to save premium front-lot spaces for the eggfest so everyone would have to pass through the eggfest as they come and go from the market. I also left a message for the eggfest rep at BGE today. I am hoping to touch base with the BGE rep and the local dealer on Monday to confirm (or kill) this idea.

I think it would be awesome to have an eggfest with 60,000 people! Obviously we would need a lot of cooks - any volunteers? We wouldn't have to feed the crowds since there are other concession vendors - just need to keep the tasting samples flowing as best we can. I know of roughly 6 cooks that would do it. Any others interested?

Possible eggfest dates are the following weekends (they start on Friday afternoon):

September 26, 27, 28

October 24, 25, 26

Here is a link to the facility and flea market info: http://www.tennesseestatefair.org/FleaMarket.htm
  • Cecil
    Options
    Just got home from Titans game-whew big fun! Sounds like we are on a good track, lets talk in the next day of two.

Walt
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I spoke with the main reps from BGE and Hearth & Grill in Nashville. They are very interested in holding an eggfest in Nashville but we need to iron out some more details first. BGE is sending us some info tomorrow and we will hopefully know this week if it is a go or not. I know of roughly 5 cooks that are willing to attend and cook/demo, and at least a dozen people that want to attend with most being interested in purchasing demo eggs.

If you would be interested in attending, cooking, or buying a demo egg from an eggfest in Nashville, TN in late September or late October then please reply here so we can judge the interest. I might have to start a new thread for this soon but this thread will do for now.
  • Cecil
    Options
    I'll be there,can cook and possibly make a purchase.

Did you get an email from me?
    Radnorliquors@bellsouth.net

Walt