Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 hr Brisket

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking a brisket for about 10hrs and am only at a 170 internal. Egg has been at 250* the whole day. I think my flat is around 3 lbs, it cost me around $13 if that helps narrow it down. Does this seem too long? I insert an additional polder in the meat and it does not slide in and out very easily.
This is my second attmept at the brisket and I just want to keep the train on the tracks... so to speak.
Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Wardster,
    Some are quick, some are slow....170°F is not done...I see a late dinner at the Wardster household. I usually check at 185-188°; that's an internal where there's a good chance it's finished up, but the 'tenderness test' should be the sole determining factor. Hang in there, worth the wait! Bumping dome temp to 270 won't hurt much either....
    Qfan

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Ok, thanks. I'm assuming I'm correct on the 'doneness' test, a polder will slide in and out very easily or insert a fork and twist to test?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Wardster,
    Yes; if you tested already at 170, the difference between that and a finished/tender brisket will be blatantly obvious to you. On the plus side, if it's over 170 it's probably close to 'breaking through' the plateau phase and temp will begin to rise fairly quickly, especially if the brisket is as small as you say......
    Qfan