Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

911...... Brisket

Options
Ike Witt
Ike Witt Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put my first brisket ( 7.5 lb flat ) on last nite at
8. Egg stabalized at 250 dome. Go out this morning at 7
and the mav internal therm hits 200 as i look at it.Dome temp is at 275
So i pull the cook to take inside and foil. Here is where the prob. lies ( my inexperience )

I test for tenderness with a fork. Seems rather tough to me. So i probe in different places....different readings. So here im thinking maybe its not done.

I replace (foiled ) in the egg and now the internal tmps are in the 180's.

I guess my question is how can i be certain the cook is done. Don't want to ruin this one.

all help appreciated

Allen

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Make sure the thermo is in the thickest part of the meat. Once it hit that 195 range, pull, foil and place in a cooler (I usually leave the thermo in)

You should get 3-4 hours easily of hold time. When you are ready, pull the brisket and be sure to slice against the grain. I will mark the grain before starting to be sure I remember what to do when the brisket is done.
  • Essex County
    Options
    I'm guessing your probe was not in the center of the meat and you got a high reading. When you checked other spots, you found the colder spots and are really at about 180. I'd foil with some liquid (beef or chicken broth, apple juice, etc.) until you get to 200 in the thickest/coldest part. Then let it rest for a while. Good luck.

Paul
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Note that when the meat is foiled, wrapped in towels, and put into a cooler, it continues to cook, with the temperature and moisture evening out across the piece. So you don't need to worry. Even if you had not returned it to the Egg, it would have turned out pretty good.
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    Remember brisket is not easy to cook to being tender and juicy. Keep track of your cook times and take lots of notes for future. I always keep track of meat and pit tempts for future reference. You also might try cooking a packer cut, you have more fat and more flavor than just cooking the flat. The brisket should hit a platou around 165 deg. and the longer it stays there the more tender it should turn out.