Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken parts

Options
Porkchop
Porkchop Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cut up 2 whole chix last nite and put em in the fridge with some rub to "marinate". i remember a post somewhere that suggested that putting meat on the kooker dry rather than wet/damp was better for crispy skin. i had the idea that if i dusted the pieces with flour and then put them on at about 350-400, i would get something good. will i? or will i get a doughy mess? anybody ever try this?

Comments

• Porkchop,
    I have not tried this but if you have a two whole chix cut up, why not try it on a couple of pieces and see what the result is and let us know.[p]Matt.

• Porkchop
    Options
    yeah, i will at least try that. just looking to see if anybody else has had success with this approach so i can get all excited about it for dinner!
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Porkchop,
    No doubt about it: if the skin is dehydrated a bit from leaving in the fridge overnite, the skin cooks crispier. If you also spray it with olive oil as its put on the grill, it gets a great color to go along with the crispy skin. I'll look forward to your test with flour.

• Porkchop
    Options
    here's the report. dusted 1/2 a chicken w/flour, put all in a 250 kooker after it set all nite in my rub. after i put it on the grill, i shook some more rub on top of all of it and let the kooker come up to 400 fairly slowly. lots of hickory smoke. [p]no appreciable difference, but it was the best chicken yet. as good as it tasted, it's appearance was the most striking. a beautiful deep red, crisp, with some nice grill lines. wish i had one a them digital cameras.
  • Yo Porkchop,
    Which chicken looked the most striking? With flour or without or both came out great?[p]Thanks for scoop!
    Matt.

• Porkchop
    Options
    all came out awesome! man, i was so pleased. just this candy-apple red color, but not like a glaze so much. next time i do chicken, it will be like this. the flavor was very nice as well. only thing i might do differently is let the pieces air dry or put them on a grate or something in the fridge so they don't sit in juice all nite. they were damp when i put them on, so i applied some more rub right there on the grill to dry them up.