Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Brisket

Options
PVS
PVS Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I have everything I need to cook my first brisket - 7 lb first cut, plate setter and Dizzy Pig Rub. Does anyone have advice on cooking temp /time / internal temp? Also, what is the benefit of putting the brisket in a cooler of ice at the end of the cooking process? Thanks

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'll just offer a bit of encouragement as a brisket novice. They are hard to get just right, but with the Egg and a nice DP rub, you will most likely get food that is quite good. I've yet to get one that I find spectacular, but am getting closer to real good with every attempt.

Let it go till the internal is at least 190, maybe a bit more, and then foil it. I've never heard of putting the brisket in a cooler with ice. Just in a "cooler." As it sits wrapped in foil and towels in the insulated box, it continues to cook without getting any drier, and the juices spread out evenly thru the meat.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Read this:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm

and this:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

When you pull your brisket from the Egg, assuming you have already wrapped it in foil, put on another layer of foil, wrap it in a couple of towels and put it in an EMPTY cooler for an hour or two. This helps ensure a moist and tender brisket.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    greetings,
    with a 7 lb brisket it has been trimmed of the fat cap so you might want to suppliment the mositure by a layer of bacon like this
    DSC_9753.jpg
    looks like this when it is done
    DSC_9756.jpg
    DSC_9758.jpg
    i have never used foil on a brisket cook but to each his own. i do mine indirect at 250 grate temp and let it go undisturbed until it reaches 195-200 internal. then foil and wrap in towels and place in warmed cooler for a couple hours and you got some good eats.
    DSC_9764.jpg
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    I learned from Myron Mixon to inject the brisket the night before with the following mix:

3 Cups Apple Juice (Filtered)
    1 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
    1/4 cup LA hot sauce (Cajun chef preferred)
    2 1/2 cup. cane sugar
    1 cup sea salt
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Slot, that sandwich is a true work of art, did it taste as good as it looks? Is that an olive or green pepper in there, I can't tell
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    thanks lip,
    that was a jalpeno cheddar roll and yes it is one of my favorites. My next favorite is brisket on a kaiser with lettuce tomate and mayo with S&P, it allows you to taste the meat and not smother with bbq sauce.