Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT\'s question

Options
Klag
Klag Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got hamburger meat to stuff them with, do I cook the hamburger meat first then stuff? Or raw meat, then on the Egg?

I'm gonna do indirect with platesetter at 350ish.

EDIT:

5 hours later, they came out great! I used hamburger meat and did not pre-cook it. Perhaps if I used a chicken or pork stuffing I might precook...

Did at 340 (that's what the Egg felt like today) for 45 minutes. Awesome! Some cheese leaked out, next time I'll use the bacon/toothpick to angle them better on the grill. Or cut the jalapeno better :) Also, more seasoning next time. Not spicy at all, so I'll also add a strip of serrano pepper next time in with the cheese.

I can't find spicy jalapenos around here for the life of me!

jaoo3g067.jpg

jaoo3g069.jpg

jaoo3g072.jpg

jaoo3g073.jpg

jaoo3g075.jpg

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    It should definately be cooked.
    You might consider 300deg instead of 350.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I do ABT's indirect at 350,just like you said.I have never precooked the filling :whistle: Many here do.I usually use little smokies and cream cheese,but this batch was with sausage and cream cheese mixed together.I guess it depends on how much time you have to cook them. ;)

008.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Doh... :woohoo:

I was trumped by the master of ABT's himself.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    NOT :whistle: I do like the ABT's,but many feel the need to precook the stuffing.I am not trying to start any arguments here :) I cook to a safe internal temp,which,sometimes takes a little longer,but that's just me.I don't wash my car before I take it to the carwash either :lol:;) I usually cook ABT's between 300 and 350,always indirect.It really depends on what else I'm cookin on that egg.I guess it's safer to precook the meat,but if you use a thermometer to check internal temp,you'll know when it's done ;) I also have never used ground beef,but am willing to try :whistle:
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    my car :laugh:
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the info, came out great!

I added pictures to the first post :)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I won't weigh in on the cooked/uncooked debate, however, here is a suggestion for easier no-turn no-lid-opening cook'n:

IMG_1358.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    That's good looking and the bacon is perfect. I don't precook the filling. I use lean hamburger and don't want it to dry out. Grease hasn't been an issue even with larger peppers. I could go for a couple of those and a scrambled egg about now. :laugh:
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX