Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Has any one used

BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 918
edited 1:00PM in EggHead Forum
Green wood for smoking? My fishing bud gave me some apple wood branches today and I was not sure it could be used b4 it is seasoned/dry. Would like to use it for a butt cook. Thanks for ya'lls opine. Hard to find Apple in this neck of the woods.
Bob
Alec City, Al
:huh:

Alexander City,Al

Comments

• I personally think it needs to dry out.
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 918
    Thanks Chuck...just checking, never heard of using fresh wood.But you don't know unless you ask. Bob

Alexander City,Al
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    I asked a similar question yesterday and most of the responses said let the wood dry out 6 months to 1 year... :(

i will hate waiting also....
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Do a test and let us know. Maybe something like chicken breast. Easy and not expensive if it doesn't work.

Let us know.

GG
    Thanks Kim....Bob

Alexander City,Al
  • Well if you are a "soak the chunks before using" kind of guy, at least you wont have to soak them. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Good idea GG...might try it this week end. Who knows how it'll end up unless you try....Bob

Alexander City,Al
    Not a soaker Pilchard...but like some of our fellow eggers... willing to eggsperiment. Bob

Alexander City,Al
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Have patience Grasshopper, good things come to those who wait.
    I just finished a test on my small. I don't have any green wood other than some ornemantal trees and pine trees.

GG
    GG...in central Al we have a lot of peach, crab apple and not too many just plain Apple trees. My friend planted some Apple trees to see if they would survive and since they have the deer love him and the fruit from his trees. Bob

Alexander City,Al
    I would bet he gets a lot of deer.

Most of the deer here are up in the high mountains especially this time of year.

They are getting fewer and fewer, but we do have large cherry, peach and apple orchards north and south of here.

GG