Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help! - wife bought a trimmed brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not sure what she was thinking buying a market trimmed brisket. What's the best way to cook this abomination? It's probably around 4 to 5 lbs.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    cook it the way i cook them for jewish holidays....all you need is a packet of liptons onion soup mix (dry soup mix), couple/three cups of burgundy or other hearty red wine, baby carrots and bag of frozen pearl onions... .

take the brisket and put it in a good smokey egg at 250 degrees dome temp for one hour indirect. .. after one hour, take the brisket in put it in a casserole dish, sprinkle the liptons onion soup all over and cover it about 2/3rds to 3/4ths with the red wine, then put it back in the egg, but run the temps up to about 325 dome temp for one more hour. ...after this hour add the carrots and pearl onions and now seal the casserole dish very tightly (and this is important that it be sealed very tightly) with heavy duty aluminum foil . ..leave it in the 325 degree egg for 2 more hours. .. . remove it from the egg. ...take the brisket and slice it all up. .. put the slices back in the casserole dish with all the reserved juice (which the wine/soup/brisket juice will have made for a very nice gravy). . . serve it with roasted taters or orzo or rice or noodle dish (or if you're in the know 'farfel'). .. .. it will be very moist and full of flavor with a nice hint of smoke from that first hour

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

nothing wrong with a trimmed brisket flat if you know what to do with it :cheer:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have a 3.5# English roast in the fridge.Would you suggest the same treatment? :unsure:
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    not exactly sure what an english roast is, but this technique should work pretty well on any type of pot roastable roast. . .. go ahead and give her a try :lol:
  • Hey looks great. Thanks for the suggestion! Turns out the brisket is 7#, so I'm definitely going to have leftovers.