Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Bread - Sage & Onion Focaccia

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

Got around to doing another bread on the Egg. This one is one of my favorites, and is great to serve at a party. Just use a pizza cutter to slice it up into little squares.

For a detailed writeup of the recipe, see http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/07/recipe-sage-and.html

Onion%20Sage%20Focaccia%203.jpg

This recipe comes from a book that I think I've mentioned here before - Bread Machine - how to prepare and bake the perfect loaf, written by Jennie Shaffer and published by Hermes House. This is one of those large glossy books that are always on sale in the front rack of Borders. I bake bread a lot, and this is my best source of recipes. You don't actually have to use a bread machine - I usually make mine in a stand mixer now.

For the dough...
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups white bread flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (I used turbinado – the original called for granulated)
1 teaspoon rapid rise dry yeast
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped red onion

For the topping...
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ red onion, thinly sliced
5-6 fresh sage leaves, sliced lengthwise into strips
2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
Freshly ground black pepper

Let the dough rise for an hour or so. Put in a shallow cake pan, a round bread pan, or a pizza pan. Let rise a while longer. Poke holes in the top of the dough with your fingers. Let rise another 20 minutes. Add the topping. Bake (indirect) for 20-25 minutes at 450 degrees dome temp or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

-John

Comments