Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken - Direct or Indirect?

Options
SmokingLong
SmokingLong Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When doing a beer can chicken, have people had more success cooking it direct or indirect? Also, what temp works best?

Comments

• Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    The only one we have done was cooked indirect at 350 degrees and took nearly 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. Next time I will try direct. It was good though...

We are not eggsperts my any means, we are still eggsperimenting and learning.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I've never used the beer can method, only 500 degree for one hour. I do these with a plate setter on a medium. It's not the most stable temp to achieve, but I've found I can do a better job if I use Miss Daisy, but open her all the way up, and set the bottom vent to wherever it needs to be to get to 500 degrees. Makes great chicken.

Hope that helps.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I would do indirect between 350 and 500 degrees dome temp. I normally do them at 350 but it takes 1.5 hours. Many people have been talking about 500 dome temps shortening the cook time to around an hour and making crispier skin. I'll try the high temp next time.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    The last one I did I set it high in the dome and sitting on a pie pan for 1 hour. Skin wasn't very crispy but taste was good. Chicken came out nice and moist.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    I go indirect at 350 degrees and if I have the time I leave it in the fridge uncovered for a day to achive nice crispy skin.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Direct, 350-375 dome, raised grid. Works great, but leave uncovered in refrigerator overnite for crispy skin. Pull at 165 breast.

Mike
    Wrens, GA