Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQing Ox Tail

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Fellow Eggers :) [p]I was wondering if anyone may have some advice on BBQing Ox Tail as I recall a neighbor of mine whilst I was a young lad growing up making them and I loved them... but I tried a slow and low direct at 200 deg. and they were so bad I ended up feeding it to the dogs :) [p]Whats more.. most all my internet searches have come up with either a stew or soup recipe.... as I recall these childhood delights being more like a chewy round rib.. they had a pull.. no way fall of the bone.. but tender and very delicious. I am thinking of going with foil for a couple hours at 250. deg... maybe a little water in the foil for a good steaming ... and then finish with bbq sauce direct for maybe an additional 1/2 hour dwell just to slightly carmelize the sauce.. Anyway... anyone ever try this before ? Any Ideas ?[p]Thanks in advance.... BB

Comments

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    BB,
    Have you condidered a FAST cook, steak style? Like 750 degrees for 3 min/side then a 5 min dwell? [p]I'd give that a whirl, and if that doesn't work, I'd do an indirect cook @250 with a drip pan full of cranberry juice.
    Oh yeah, and if you do low and slow again cover that bad boy with cheap yellow mustard.
    My .02
    Good Luck!
    -Joel
    -Joel