Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjusting Thermometer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How does one adjust the thermometer?[p]My thermometer sits at about 205 degrees even after no use for several days. I suppose it just needs adjusting. I searched the archives and found some messages that mention adjusting the thermometer, but no instructions. I'm not sure where my documentation is that came with the thermometer (if any did).[p]Thanks in advance![p]Reedone

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    reedone,
    If there is an adjusting nut on the stem side, put the thermometer in boiling water and adjust by turning the nut while holding dial face until it reads 212°. Don't let the stem hit the metal pot and you will probably needs gloves to protect your hands from the steam.
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    reedone,
    If there is an adjusting nut on the stem side, put the thermometer in boiling water and adjust by turning the nut while holding dial face until it reads 212°. Don't let the stem hit the metal pot and you will probably needs gloves to protect your hands from the steam.
    New Bob

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    reedone,
    FWIW I use needle nose pliers to hold the thermometer, look at the reading, mentally do the math and figure how much of an adjustment I need to do, adjust, then dip it back in the boiling water to make sure I did it properly. I know it's a little backwards, but it works well for me.
    -Joel

• Thanks, guys![p]Reed
  • reedone,
    I don't think that this is an adjustment problem. Take the stem in one hand, and the rim surrounding the lens in the other, and gently twist either hand. I'll bet that the bezel will turn, allowing you to set the pointer anywhere you want relative to the scale (bezel), and I'll also bet that this is the older thermometer with the plastic lens. If so, this is a defective thermometer, and should be replaced with the (new) glass lens thermo. Let me know