Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Corn on the Cob

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife came upon the first batch of fresh local corn and she wants them done up on the egg. I know that I have seen several pictures of corn on the cob over the last few weeks so I know that fellow eggheads may have some ideas for me as this will be the first time cooking up some corn.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I'm tagging along on this thread. I've had some problems reassembling the shucks after removing the silks. I've read that some don't bother removing silks. With what results?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I do mine different than most I think.
    I shuck and clean the corn, wrap in foil sprayed with pam, and bake (in oven or egg) for about 45min - 300deg. Unwrap, brush with butter, then on the egg raised grid direct until charred to preference. Sorry no pics but they do come out nice.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I shuck and clean the corn, place in egg, direct heat around 350 to 400 dome temp. Turn every five minutes for 20 minutes total until you get a nice char going on. I have tried with the shuck on but it only seamed to insulate the corn requiring a lot longer time.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    corn is like asparagus pretty hard to screw up. some wrap in foil with water [why cook it on the egg??] i peel the husk back a about 1/2 way remove most of the silk and run it under water fold the husk back and toss it on the egg. or just shuck it drizzle with evoo, s&p and toss it on . i like the char-b-qued taste of roasted corn. it is great cut off and tossed in a salad. truly fresh sweet corn does not need to be cooked very long.
    others tie up the husks and soak for an hour and cook longer. it is all good, like everything else you cook on your egg.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    we soak the corn in cold salt water inside the husk for an hour before putting it on the grill.
    I cook the corn about 20 mins until there are some nice grill marks on the husk. Turning every few minutes.
    Peel, remove silks and enjoy
    jon
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I just put the whole thing on the Egg. Feathers and all. 350 for about 45 minutes indirect. Turn once or twice. The silk slides out. Butter and salt afterwards.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I do that too Frank, except I lop off a little from the silk end before I cook. That's it. No soak, no shuck, no nothing til it's done.

When done the silks fall right off with the husks....then I add a little butter and salt or raging river.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sure is a lot of ways to make cookin corn hard.

Foiling is like taking a shower with a rain coat one. What's the use...

I'm somewhat in the Fidel & Frank in Houma corner.

Most of the time I soak in water for 10 or 15 minutes. If whatever else I cook is at a higher temp I may soak a little longer but that is not all that important.

Preperation - I may cut a little of the silk and end husk off just to prevent burning and unecessary corn smoke.

Other than that I don't fart around with it. 20 to 40 minutes is fine.

When done that's when we put some effort into the corn Corn Bar... now that’s livin – smoke roasted corn.

Sometimes dinner will be just corn and we put out almost every kind of spice we have including some mixes and lots of butter.

Paprika, different levels of pepper including cayenne pepper, chili powders, pepper flakes, lemon pepper, vinegar pepper, salt & vinegar, the DP rubs.

Don’t miss out on this treat.

GG
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    I've done it with and without husks and comes out great. Try using mayonaisse and some Ragin River mixed instead of butter. You wont be sorry.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    You got to like many ideas as the most important concept in cooking is to follow you own instincts. I do thank everyone for all of those ideas.

I am cooking some 1 inch pork chops using direct heat (they are nicely bathing in some herbed brine), so I think I will try shucking the corn and giving it an evoo rub and see how that turns out. To be sure, pics will follow!

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Husk on is the right way.Cut or break off the stalk end and cut off the top where the silk is and cook direct on medium high heat till the husk is dark brown or a little black all the way around.Turn at ten to fifteen minute intervals half way during the cook.Peel the husk off and wring off the silk as if you were wring out a dish rag,That silk that remains will come right off.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'm with you two on this one. -RP