Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slower Cooked Ribs Verdict

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all for their feedback yesterday. Here is what I did:[p]Took three racks of baby-backs, cut into six halves, and rubbed with Gilded Splinters and mustard the day prior.[p]Used platesetter / drip pan / grid / v-rack combination.[p]Put the ribs on not long after the starter cubes extinguished, and added some soaked apple and pecan chunks, as well as a soaked onion. Brought the temp slowly to 250 (about 30 minutes). mmmm, the smell.[p]Flipped and sprayed with apple juice every 45 minutes for 3 hours and 45 minutes. The dome temp never went below 240, and never above 250 during this time after that first half hout.[p]I was a few hours early for dinner at this point, so I put the ribs in a casserole dish, and wrapped it with a couple of layers of heavy-duty foil. I just left the dish on the counter in the kitchen. It stayed here for about 1.5 hours. Ribs stayed very warm.[p]I then went direct at about 275 (raised grid) for about 30 minutes, adding sauce (GFW's sauce) and flipping every so often.[p]Verdict ? The absolute best damn ribs I have ever had, bar none. Excellent smoke penetration, and meat that pulled (not fell) neatly off the bone. 250 is the way to go for sure. Wow. [p]*** Problem - not all of the ribs were done. I should have known up front, but the ribs that had the shrinkage (about 3/8 inch) were the ones that were out of this world. Of the other, larger ribs, they had very minimal shrinkage, and turned out to be a bit too fatty - not quite as good as the others. They could have used another 45 minutes I believe (4.5 hours + 30 minutes direct total). Next time I will go ahead and pull them as I go, and wait until they are all at the same stage of shrinkage before going direct. Lesson learned.[p]Anyway, 250 seemed to turn out quite well for this cook, and thanks to all for the great feedback.[p]Cheers![p]- Mike[p]