Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

Options
deltadawn
deltadawn Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our Weber digital thermometer just died. It did last about 2 years. We liked it because of the remote system and not needing to open the lid to check meat temp. Is there a better thermometer out there for this or should we stick with the Weber digital? Any suggestions......

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    DigiQ II or Stoker with a Thermapen for manual temp checks would be the first choices I would suggest...
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    You really need and instant read and a remote thermometer (like - I assume - your deceased Weber).

The remote is good (as you say) for monitoring while leaving the lid closed. If you try using it with higher temps, however, you risk frying a probe. Voice of experience here :( I didn't have to replace my thermometer as I was able to locate a replacement probe. Mine's a Charcoal Companion branded unit - don't think it's sold anymore, but they got me a new probe. I have had luck with the Polder brand - they make a number of remote thermometers. Check out user reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. BTW, you can extend probe life by wrapping the lead-probe junction with foil. But I still wouldn't expose it to searing temps.

So you really need an instant read. Almost everyone here will recommend the Thermapen - it's almost sacrilegious to suggest anything else. I'm sure they're right that it's the best. I have a Polder 371 Quick Tip ($15) and I love it. Seems plenty quick to me but you'll hear it's not quick enough.

The suggestions about Gurus and Stokers are great. Just thought I'd directly address your need to replace the Weber.
  • I went through a number of different remote thermometers (to include a Weber digital) before I wised up and purchased a Thermapen 5 Thermometer by ThermoWorks. My remote thermometers worked ok for a few months at best before they would start having problems. Since purchasing the Thermapen, I haven't had any issues. I love the fact that I can test the temperature of a piece of meat in seconds and know what's done and what isn't in less than a minute.