Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How should I handle this butt?

Options
GangGreen
GangGreen Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started a 8lb butt at 6PM. It is now 3am and the butt is cooked through at 200 degrees. Do not plan on serving until 6PM this evening. How should I handle...i.e. reheating etc. Please advise!!!!! I have never had this happen! It usually takes 20 hours!!!!

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    After you pull the butt out of the cooler, pull it and wrap it up and put in frig. When your ready to warm it up you could put it in a roasting pan and cover with foil and stick in oven. I would add some apple juice to it to keep it moist, also I like adding a can of coke to it. Good Luck.
  • GangGreen
    Options
    Thanks! What temp should I heat it up on in the oven?
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have warmed up refrigerated butt in a crock pot for 4 hours on low.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yep. did this exact thing the last time i butted. make sure no one sees you with the can of coke, you'll get enough ribbing from the "oh, is that THE egg i'veb een hearing about?!?!?" ..you don't need grief about adding coke!

hahaha

it heats perfectly well this way, though if you are in a hurry, and don't start soon enough, microwaving it in a big bowl (in batches) works faster.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    holy crap. i saw your post from yesterday where you wanted 220 instead of 250, and i suggested letting it ride.

how'd your temps hold up overnight?

that 30 degree difference shouldn't have made THAT big a difference. yikes.

how big was the butt?
  • GangGreen
    Options
    8lbs. It is 96 degrees up here. The temp only ran to about 260. I pulled it at 3AM with an internal of 200. It has been in the fridge since around 7.

So does everyone agree that I should go crock pot on low? When should I start it for a 6 o'clock serving?
  • stike
    Options
    well.... i might have scrood you. i sometimes put on the butt at 225 first, allowing it to take longer overnight. then, in the morning, i bump it to 250. so, um, yeah, ahhh. slowing the cook down by going to 220 (vs. 250) means, um, that conversely being at 260 versus 220 would SPEED IT UP. i just wouldn't have thought you'd be done in the morning. apologies... :blush:

well, at least i made it halfway through the year before making my first mistake! :whistle:
  • GangGreen
    Options
    I think this was probably a lot leaner than what I usually cook. It must have rendered all its fat rather quickly. Stike what do you recommend oven or crock pot? I'm used to just pulling it hot out of the nest.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    A warming oven is usually at 140 degrees.
    Add some apple juice in the bottom of the pan and reheat. Spritz the meat also.
    This has worked for me in the past.
    jon