Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why I already regret buying the BGE

Options
CalvertSoMd
CalvertSoMd Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All.

OK. After my Char-Broil Propane Caddie rusted out last week after two years of serious use, I decided to buy another one. On the way to Home Depot to scope-out the Char-Broil, I passed an other dealer with a "BIG GREEN EGG" sign outside. On a whim, I went in. Twenty minutes later, I had a medium BGE loaded in the Toyota and was on the way home. I was nearly shivering--both from having spent so much more money than I had intended spending, and in anticipation of the promises the BGE dealer made to me.

A few hours later, I had my first experience cooking chicken on the BGE. Wow! Today, I used some of the leftover chicken on a white pizza baked on the BGE. Double Wow!

I'm sorry I bought this thing. I'm trying to lose some weight, but I can already tell that now I'll want to cook (and eat) a lot more than ever before! The BGE is horrible for dieters. The food is just *too* good!!!

I can't wait until tomorrow to try someting else. Then more the next day. Then more the next day. Then more....

Comments

• Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    You might want to get you a good pair of running shoes :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome to the "I wish all this food did not taste so good that I have to eat it all" club.

TC
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Welcome to the club.You can still eat good,but it's hard to pass up fatties and ABT's.Good luck with your new egg and your diet :woohoo: ;)

007-15.jpg

003.jpg

Don't forget about awesome ribs :woohoo:

015.jpg

How about some veggies :)

013-5.jpg

007-8.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I took up yoga and bought a bike, just a suggestion.
    Welcome, mohahahahaha..
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Welcome to the family. It only gets better but don't get your hopes too high. I've been egging for 6 plus years and I still don't know the secret handshake. :(
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Im also getting a second, bigger bge in August. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    It is a wonderful thing, just do like I do with a low carb lifestyle. Would you like some meat with your meat? Seriously meat and veggies of all kinds gets old sometimes but for the most part when most of the meat is cooked on the egg, it's hard to feel neglected :P Welcome
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Actuall I have lost 16 pounds since getting my egg, I don't eat out anymore, and cook a LOT of chicken and pork...vegetables, etc...you might be surprised actually, it's all about the mix of food you prepare. Look at my BLOG and you will see a lot of good stuff that really isn't as fatening as eating out; and ENJOY! Post pictures.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congrats, and welcome to the EggNation! Start planning your budget for your next egg :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    welcome... don't worry about the $... your last grill lasted two years.. how many years before the egg with it's life time warranty pays for it's self?? not that long! money issue is the next two or 3 eggs :evil: :evil:
    get some asapragus and green beans drizzle with a little olive oil, spinkle of sea salt and pepper grill on the egg .... my sons will not eat boiled asparagus anymore. get a head of romaine, don't cut the stem off, cut in half long wise evoo s&p grill on the egg. planked fish ....lots of low cal low fat stuff...everything tastes better cooked on the egg.
    p.s. you need a digital camera now so you can post pics of your cooks :laugh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You were on your way to get a .............. and ended up buying an Egg. :)

Kinda sounds like when Jack's mom sent him to town to sell the cow and he came back with some beans. I think he found a golden Egg somewhere in the story.

Welcome to Eggdom.
  • Wkoop
    Wkoop Posts: 2
    Options
    I love the blog!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    two words: Portion control.
    Cooking a whole turkey doesn't mean you have to eat it all in one sitting.

Speaking of sitting... you know.

I've found the BGE to be a great help with dieting.
    We eat less fried and packaged foods.
    Vegetables are better off the Egg.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Here's the worst part...you know those big named eateries with the worlds best burgers/ribs/chicken/steaks/brisket, etc.??? You will not want to eat there any more because you and your new medium will easily make better food and at a fraction of the cost.

The downward spiral continues...you will be so impressed with your cooks that you will soon be taking pictures of them and your "friends" will make fun of you. You will continue to brag and post pictures until you realize that your true friends are the people on this board and your old friends that saw the light and bought their own eggs!

Oh yeah, and your medium is just the start. I'm already up to 2 eggs and would have had 3 if I made the Oklahoma Eggfest this year!

Welcome to the cult!

Big Daddy
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Well said Big Daddy.......

My wife thinks I'm crazy with the pictures....
    she likes the food though
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Been using the LBGE for a little over a year (4-5 times per week) and have lost one pound. Wife loves the Egg. She only cooks fried food (and very little of that), sketti, kraut and knockwurst, casseroles. All else comes off the Egg.
    Welcome to the cult - you will be experiencing a new lifestyle.

Mike
    Wrens, GA
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    I found a good way around eating all the great food that comes off the BGE and not adding all those extra pounds i cook for the family and if any thing is left over i take that to work the next day and feed my co-workers it's worked out so good now i get to grill at work while i'm working now that is the good life the bad thing is my company didn't want to fork over $$$$ to buy a BGE but they did get two webber grills so i feel honored to be able to fire up the hump ( webber ) grill at work anytime i get ready to and grill now i call that a luxury just my 0.02
  • Smokin' Domer
    Options
    BigDaddy - OCT wrote:
    The downward spiral continues...you will be so impressed with your cooks that you will soon be taking pictures of them and your "friends" will make fun of you.

I get that all the time from my family but they love the ribs, pulled pork and everything else I've made!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    It's simple, Pat: It's just like a regular handshake, but there's a spectacularly delicious spare rib in the hand. :woohoo: