Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leaving the Pulled Pork on

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I was planning to do some pulled pork tomorrow for a sunday gathering. Now I find out we are taking off for 4 or 5 hours tommorrow for someone elses BBQ and I am a bit worried about my cook....So my quesiton is, how long is the longest you guys have left the a PP unattended.
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    First let me stae Murphey's Law always prevails.

There is no problem leaving a long cook for 4 or 5 hours. Especially if it is during the middle of the cook. Make sure you start out with a lot of well placed lump. I fill my medium nearly to the top of the fire ring. Light at 9, 12, & 3 o'clock positions and get it stabilized. After a few hours, the thing is on cruise control requiring very little input.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    As long as the fire box is cleaned out and nothing to clog up the grate with fresh lump up to the top I have gone to sleep on many butt cooks for six to seven hours and no problem.Get the Egg stable at your temperature a half hour ahead of time to make sure the temp hangs in there.Go out and have some fun.The Egg will take care of the rest.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    went to work once after setting it up. say ten hours.

and of course, overnight.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    I do it all the time. The only advice I have is to Poke at the lump with a wiggle rod before you leave. I have had the temp drop on me before. I think it was from the fire not propagating from one piece of lump to another. I have had the lump burn straight down and not to the sides. So I just wiggle and push the lump down a little to make sure it keeps burning.

E
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Options
    If I want to do 2 8# butts, is it 1-1.5 per pound so about 24 hours or is it shorter because they are 2 seperate pieces?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Options
    As long as they are not touching, they should cook at that same pace as if there were only one. You do not need to sum their weight.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    They will take 12-16 hours, just be sure your temp is stable at 250 with the plate setter in for a good hour before putting in the butts. Then when the meat goes in do not adjust anything, the cold meat will give you a lower dome temp initially but it will come back up as the meat warms. -RP
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Ive yet to leave my egg unattended. Just one of those things. If Im cooking, I stay home. If I had to leave, I guess I would, but only after about 3 or 4 hours in. Ive had mine move alot in the first couple hours.
  • belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    Options
    Once I get the fire stablelized, I have left mine
    overnight without a problem. I've done pulled pork for my office crew four or five times. It is served for lunch, and, I am not about to stay up all night to watch it. Has worked out super everytime.