Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I missed Woosday...

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
you'll be glad to hear i'm going to disappear for a while. ton of work just fell in my lap, and momma wants a brand new pair of shoes.

here's some stuff before i go, starting with rib trimmings. I used to ask what to do with the trimmings from spares. Nature Boy slapped me and told me to cook them with the ribs, and to save them for myself. In the future, i will use them for sausages too, if they last. I ate these yesterday. Leftover from the fourth of July. two weeks ain't gonna kill me.

rib_trimmings.jpg

some random pics before i drop off the radar screen:

fishing with the boys, Lake Winnipesaukee, this June (why i was late to eggfest!)
fishin_1.jpg

(well, i editted this thing and lost half the post. here are the pics that got lost, but without the verbiage (i'm sure you are thankful).

fishin_2.jpg

garden (sage/corn/hollyhocks)
sage_corn_hollyhocks.jpg

house number thingey that i carved, molded, recast and leafed in nickel.

house_number.jpg

crap. wrote that post earlier today and editting one word caused the whole thing to get wiped out. ah well.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Never too late for great pics like those. Nice job on the address.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    Try grinding it and making it in to Chorizo...mmmmmmm
  • stike
    Options
    someone riveted a "1" and a "2" to a gutter for our original housenumber. you know those italic metal numbers you see at a hardware store? that's what we had before. everyone knew where we lived, still, bent, crappy, ugly as hell. only took six years to scratch that itch. hahaha

i'd hate to say how badly i underestimated how long that was gonna take. ..and how much work it'd be. i could have had them cast it in gold cheaper than doing it myself. thanks, by the way.
    J
  • stike
    Options
    yeah

that's the ideer. somethin like that.
    these were finished with a slightly sweet sauce. i almost got the wife a sausage maker for christmas, hoping she'd give it back to me. she almost got me one, too. Kinda like an O. Henry story. Only not so much.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
  • stike
    Options
    nope. not those. mine were screen printed black paint on thin cheap flat metal aluminum thing. screwed to a metal gutter with one screw at the top, and they spun and banged in the wind. they were dirty, bent, and totally crap-tastic.

i have a soft spot for the numbers you have. my house was 46 when i was growing up, and we had the same ones as you. every twenty years or so, take them down, rub with steel wool and acetone, and then re-laquer. those aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Impressive house number. If it were here it would have never gotten done. 6 years isn't bad.

The trimmings look mighty fine. I used to just cook them along with the ribs and then trim after the cook. I think I will try it your way next time.

That's the way to fish and further out in the water it sure would be fun to do some skiing on that glass water.

Looking forward to hearing from you when you are back & congratulations on the job.

Kent
  • stike
    Options
    thanks, GG.

i have three jobs going. everybody has a July 23rd Deadline, and every client is a week late getting me their info. have to drop two clients, and run like hell with the third.

my life is basically "hurry up and wait!"

hahaha
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL at the situation... that is always the way it is.

The wife and I in another life used to travel the state's and county's fair circuit. We sold a product we made.

During the days and it was always nothing of swamped. More times than not when we began eating the booths would be flooded with customers. Once the food got cold or bad we had nothing to do.

We would often go get some food or snacks to get the traffic to build up. Seemed to work 95% of the time.

Always seems to be a bit concerning droping customers but that's business. But that is better than having no customers, been on both sides of that problem.

Sounds like the end of the month will be a bit more relaxing.

Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    i should go get a pic of the number in front of my house, its inside the mailbox. the postman wrote 41 inside my rusted out mailbox with a black marker years ago and put a card in there describing what a mailbox was supposed to look like. winn was nice and flat, usually doesnt look like that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    hahahaha
    i actually laughed out loud, man.

can always count on you to bring me back to reality.

there is so much wrong with my post. i thought you'd give me some crap for the fishing photo.

can i hire you as a guide. i'll sit like that in the back of the boat and talk your frukking ear off. "hey what kind of knot is that?" "did i ever show you a pic of my house number?" "why do they call it dry fly if the fly still gets wet?" "can you put my worm on?"

i'd pay a hundred an hour just for the privilege of screwing with you. hahaha

(my new hampshire upbringing means that i secretly admire your house number. my schooling and the whole "designer" thing mean i get sucked into overkill. hahaha)
  • stike
    Options
    we were in Round Cove (not on the maps). It's one over from Fish Cove. it is like that ALL DAY. weekends it gets waves from the lake, but no one waterskis there. i mean, no one comes in from the lake and skis there. there are rocks out at the point. nice bass in the cove. i found the deep spots and hooked on to a monster.

broke my twenty year old monofilament.

you spend cash on mono and the correct gear, and i dumped all my investments into my house number. somewhere in there is a happy-medium.

hahaha
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nice pictures Jeff and I love the house number.
    Larry
  • stike
    Options
    thanks larry!

taking everything slow, but sure. like to think maybe the BGE (among other things) helped me to slow down and appreciate things.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    i havent cut the grass yet this year so im not sure if i could make the happy medium mark, neighbors would be happy though.
    we use flourocarbon now, mono is a thing of the past on winni. you dont want to know how much ive got in tackle, its frightning, it should be insured, its a sickness, ssi should give me disability pay and give me the time off to just go fish with the stuff. heres one of my favorites, its an early ted godfrey multiplier with walnut sides, cost about 3 paychecks and a year and a half for ted to get it built for me. must have called him 50 times with the anticipation. i talked to him so much im sure he would know my voice 20 years later. check out the swelled butt on the bamboo rod, something almost never seen. just got in a 1962 jwyoung landex in mint condition delivered royal express. anyone who thinks egging is expensive should not look into fishing. going to catch a nice salmon this weekend on that landex, going to need a rod from the period to match it. someplace i lost my mind, but i dont seem to be missing it. i could probably make up a nice set of numbers here at work, but im working on my secret fish attractor for the weekend.

2005002734.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    nice rod/reel!

just last week i took all the old lures from my great-grandfather's box out and put them away a little safer. i fished with some when i was 13. what an idiot. i had a horsehair mouse still attached to the card it was sold on. lost the card, still have the mouse, though. jointed pickerel, great old flies, etc. all 1920's or earlier

this satruday, dad gave me a wooden fly reel that was his grandfather's that's gotta be a hundred years old. ...and a muddler minnow made from the tail hair of a deer he took in the 70's. that stuff maybe ain't worth much, but looks beautiful.

we rented our vacation place in vermont to the son of a friend. turned out he was more like a son of a b!tch. threw out some old (in-box) penn reels (ca. 1930?), tossed a mounted deer rack (with drawers filled with fishing stuff) under the house, covered it all with trash..... destroyed the place.

i just have a little of it left.
  • stike
    Options
    got a friend that does airbrush on tee-shirts for a few short months at the state fairs. makes a pantload of dinero, can't walk, his pockets are stuffed so full. all cash, too. makes maybe a 150k or better in a couple months. 20 bucks a shirt, three minutes a shirt.

dude has it figgered out!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I would think so... The airbrushed shirts while you wait booths have always done a great business.

Over the years during that period of our life my wife and I and I made marionette puppets, large hand puppets (muppet type) in one booth. I wrote a program to print personalized name sheets which we set up in a second booth. In a third booth we sold my wife’s poetry which was mounted and presented with an appropriate picture. Overall size double matted 11 X 14 frame. The booths were set up to look like there were 3 different vendors but we walked back and forth to handle the crowds.

The puppets took us a long time to make, very labor intensive but they sold well. It wasn’t hard to clear 2k a day on weekends. Took us a full week to prepare for a 2 day event.

The name sheets was like printing money. It took me a lot of years to come up with and technique and then code the computer program. After that initial work and equipment the cost was minimal. 5¢ to 10¢ for a sheet of paper (depending on graphic on the paper), laser printer tonner apx 2¢/sheet and each sheet sold for $6 at that time. It would take about 8 seconds to setup and print a sheet. There were times we had to ask people to see the rest of the event and stop by on their way going home. Of course other times we had one thumb in our mouth and the other thumb in the rear end waiting for someone to yell switch.

It all sounds great but the booths spaces were horribly expensive. There was a Christmas event, that cost us 15k per booth for 10 days plus 10% of the gross sales. Like with most things in life, there are always a lot of people with their hands in ones pocket sucking out the money. Being self employed is expensive.

GG
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    what? you told me you were a 12 year old asian girl.

liar
  • stike
    Options
    sorry. i thought i was talking to your husband. you guys use the same email account?

whooops