Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!! Temp Challenged!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need the help of you guys out there that have used MickeyT"s temp rings. I got mine yesterday, am cooking an 8/lb butt starting tomorrow morning early. Thanks Mick by the way! My dillemma is this... My thermometer is way out of wack. Put it in boiling water and it reads about 195*. The wife is off to Chicago with the new one in the trunk. I plan on using the #2 ring, vent wide open, unless temp starts to rise. The question is this.... What temp do you experienced eggers think i will be cooking at. Assume clean egg, full load of lump, chunk of pork on raised grill direct. I will monitor with a meat thermometer in the thick part of this butt, but i am curious how long to expect, ball park. I have cooked butts before, but they have always gone quicker that i thought they should, and now i know why! Happy egging this weekend, and thanks for any reply's.
Cole Michelob's to ya,
Seth

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    Dose your thermometer have an adjusting nut on the back of it??????????? Most do, if so you should be able to adjust it. The pros will jump in soon.
    New Bob

• Seth,
    Look for the nut (wrenching flat) on the back of the thermometer. I think it's a 7/16" or maybe a 3/8". It's not a jam nut but rather an adjustment screw. If you know it's reading 30 degrees too cool, then adjust the dial (using the wrenching flat on the back) 30 degrees up, then try the boiling water again. Repeat this until you have a perfect 212 reading in boiling water.[p]Hope I didn't confuse you; I think better than I write![p]Good luck!

• Skwerl X,
    I have a BGE therm that is at least 4 years old. Only the nut on the back. Are yoy saying that i should just rotate the needle to read 212*. How will tht be accurate?
    beers,
    Seth

• Seth Howard, yup thats all you do. As long as it says 212 in boiling water, it's calibrated. The boiling point of water is the standard you're aiming for.[p]Put a wrench on the nut on the back, then rotate the dial face up or down depending on which way it's off.[p]For example, if it says 200 in boiling water, let it cool, then rotate the dial face up 12 degrees and try it again.[p]Also, check that the probe itself is clean and free of build-up.[p]If push comes to shove, BGE sells new ones fairly cheap.[p]Beers back at ya,
    Skwerl