Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Fire Box

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the other side of my fire box finally cracked too. I guess it's now two whole pieces. Seems to hold it's shape though. I've noticed that it takes longer for my fires to get hot, and it takes longer them to go out. Could that be the reason? I just thought it was because my gasket was toasted.

Guess it's time for some maintenance.

Comments

• HeSmellsLikeSmoke
    Options
    My medium has a two pieced firebox also but I don't have any trouble with getting up to high temps or shutting it down.

I suspect the gasket is what is causing your problems.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    A cracked firebox wouldn't have any effect on the startup and shutdown procedures. If you're the original owner AND you bought your egg from a dealer, why don't you see about getting a replacement under warranty?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Was planning on it. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess this week is the week. Do you know if my dealer will also order the new gasket material for me, or must I order it directly from the mothership, myself? Seems like they want to keep it a secret or something.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    There's no reason in the world your dealer can't order that for you. Most dealers have things like that in stock......or, they should have!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    mine was in 9 pieces last time i checked, no problems going out, but with the extra draft thru the pieces it should light faster, not slower. i bet its the gasket or maybe the ash build up, i know i dont clean it out as often and it gets slower when ash builds up behind it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Mine would no longer stand, pieced together.

I pieced and glued it together upside down [on parchment paper, to keep it from being glued to the plywood base].

Have used it multiple times since then... so far, works like a charm.

My dealer says he's ordered a replacement. It's being shipped in with his regular shipment, so I don't get stuck with paying freight costs. [I really am a cheap SOB]

;)B);)
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    No problem, mon! I just called my dealer, and while they haven't heard about the new gasket yet, they said they'd order it for me.

A new fire box is on it's way, under warranty, and I had them throw in a new cast iron cooking grate for my medium, as well.

Ain't BGE and their dealer organization just grand!