Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to mask \"that egg taste\"...

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been cooking heavily on the egg ever since I got it. Every single meal is made on the egg unless we eat out or skip a meal. The wife was not a big meat or BBQ eater before but now she has come to like many of the egg dishes such as chicken legs, ribs, pulled pork, etc. The trouble is that there are certain foods which she prefers to eat without "that egg taste" as she calls it. These are usually lighter foods which she prefers to eat plain with minimal spices or sauces, such as grilled chicken breast, scallops, shrimp, etc.

So I tried cooking these dishes for her without any wood chips, then indirect, then in a ceramic skillet with EVOO, then applying the sauces off the egg, yet she can still pickup on "the egg taste" every time. I assume she is referring to that wondeful but very subtle flavor that is imparted by cooking over natural hardwood lump vs. a gasser or electric stove. I personally love that flavor on all of my meals, and she likes it for some dishes but not all. So is there a way that I can cook her meals on the egg without giving them the typical egg taste? Maybe in a closed dutch oven pot? We don't want to cook twice with her food inside and mine on the egg, and I already gave away the gasser so not many options left.

Any ideas?

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Wrap her food in alumium foil before it goes on.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Are you making sure the smoke is really truly clear before you put those items on? and do a hot burn after you are done cooking each time to really clean out the drippings to clear out the smoke. You don't have to burn the whole load of lump just a few minutes till it is clear and shut it down. You will use a little more lump but it should take away the smoky flavors. Even though when you first light your egg, if there are drippings they do not get burnt off totally by just coming up to temp. I do breads and cakes and pies even and an apple pie is not good at all with smoke over notes :whistle: It will take a little more effort but it should be hardly noticeable, if at all. the other thing is to get another egg :evil: We keep the small egg "vegan" LOL so I don't have to worry to much about fat drippings to smoke things up.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    That "Egg Taste" is called flavor..

As it has been suggested encase the food in foil or use a dutch over WITH the lid.

If she still tells you that it has that "Egg Taste" then it's not the egg, but the spices you use. I had a similar problem with my wife till I stopped treating her food to the same spices I treated mine too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    i bet its a build up of grease from prior cooks and that your not getting a truly clean fire because of it. about mid summer from a lot of chicken thigh cooks i really need to go nulear and burn it all out or i get an off taste in milder foods, i can even taste it in a trexed steak if i let it go to long with out a thourough burn out.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Another thing is different lump. They all have different characteristics and "flavors" of smoke. I have one that I like for baked goods but is not the best for smoking. Can't remember what it is off hand but maybe try some other lump. all lump is not created equal :)good luck Julie
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    When I want the minimum "smoke" character, I load Cowboy Lump. I know it's got some problems, but, when it burns well the kiln dried wood burns with almost no character. Just my experience, but, I keep a bag of Cowboy for when I truely want a light flavored burn. thanks rc
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    i bet there is still some wicked good comp blend hidden in some shop or hardware store up there. very mild but i think you get a better idea of the different flavors of different smoking woods when using it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Foil is a good idea. I made some corn on the cob in foil for her and she liked it ok. Guess I can try that on her other foods and see what happens. Dutch oven might be just as good, will try it and see.

I don't think it is residual smoke, soot, or grease since I typically clean the egg out with a high-temp burn every 1-2 weeks. My high-temp burns are at 600-750+ for at least an hour and I clean the plate setter, grate, cast iron, etc. at the same time.

I have tried running the egg up to 400-500 after every cook but this doesn't burn off all the gunk. It would be ideal to do a full high-temp burn after every cook but this uses too much lump and just isn't practical. I am also being careful not to run the egg at nuclear levels for extended periods until I have finished my egg base / max temp. testing which is well underway.

I have used Cowboy and Royal Oak lump in the past and these had an even stronger taste than the Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump which I am currently using. Maybe there are some other brands which are best for baking? I have been on TNW's site and read a lot of reviews but don't recall taste or baking quality being mentioned as factors.

When cooking her food I make sure to let the egg warm up for an extended time so it is burning clean and hot, then I don't use any wood chips or cook other foods which would contaminate hers. Maybe this will be enough if I just add the foil or stick with the closed dutch oven.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Upgrade.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241