Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT

Options
motsol
motsol Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone help me with at good ABT recipe. I was thinking about Cream Cheese and Crab meat. I am just not sure what the process is to cook them.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Cut open jalepeno's and remove seeds. Leave ribs if you want some heat, remove if you don't. Cream Cheese in center with optional meat (Little smokies, steak, pulled pork, etc.) Wrap in bacon. Use toothpick to hold in place, if desired. The crab sounds good but may be overpowered by other strong flavors. I prefer steak chopped into small pieces.
    Egg for approx 1 hour at 300deg.
    This is how I do it, not sure if it is the right way.

Ron
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I agree with Bacchus.... tried crab meat once but it was too delicate a choice and I was very disappointed. Shrimp on the other hand worked a little better and leftover chicken or pulled pork are always good picks. BTW, I always use the cream cheese with chive & onion for a little extra zest. Have fun!
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Options
    Kroger makes a Southern Style Crab Dip that I tried last week. People seemed to like them over plain cream cheese.
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    I also remove all seeds and ribs (wear gloves!) and pack with cream cheese, smokie sausage link (1/2) and wrap with a full piece of bacon (toothpick to close). I also dust with some sort of DP (dizzy pig) rub for flavor. Indirect at 350-400 dome temp. until bacon is crispy.
    DSCN2209.jpg
    DSCN2212.jpg
  • Windrider
    Windrider Posts: 2
    Options
    Other good variations:
    1. Try mixing shredded cheddar into the cream cheese
    2. Instead of smokies or other meats, try chunks of ripe mango or pineapple
  • Blazer
    Blazer Posts: 47
    Options
    Do you put two pepper halves back together before wrapping with bacon or just wrap each half separately?
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Each is wrapped separate.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    We all do them a little different.I think that's the fun part :woohoo: I like them with pulled pork,but most of the time I use little smokeys.I've even used leftover chicken.When I do ABT's,I prep them,then put them back together before I cook them ;)

Egggroup1003.jpg

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Those look great Doug!..I like 'em with the whole jala also but the wiffie cant take the heat so I do em on the half shell..I also like 'em with PP but again the wiffie likes the lil smokies...go figure! :blink: :blink:
    SuperBowlCook08005.jpg

By the way, I always chop up a few garlic cloves or if I'm lazy some of that jarred minced garlic in the cream cheese..gotta love garlic on anything!
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I'm with you on the garlic man :woohoo: It goes great with anything,just like bacon :lol: ;)Damn,now I gotto go see if I have ABT fixens :lol: :woohoo: :)
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    the ABT's on the 26th...........along with your egg! :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Well.................I guess I can :lol: I just thought that you guys would get sick of them.I will wear the gloves this time :pinch: That sh!t burns your eyes,alot :blink: Especially if you wear contacts like me :ohmy:
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    if you don't want too. You do them well, though.