Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Lamb Roast Followup

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, let me thank everyone who advised me on cooking my Lamb Roast.

My chef friend is completely blown away by the performance of my egg! The smoke flavor was hickory, and it was just a perfect blend of flavors with a most tender roast. He made an impromptu rub mostly containing salt, pepper, lots of cumin, some cinnamon, onion flakes, some vanilla extract and Dijon Mustard and clover honey. The bark turned out absolutely wonderful, and my back yard smelled sooooo good.

I didn't get a photo of it, but we made a Dijon Mustard Cream Sauce for the lamb...Oh Man!

Also, he covets my Thermopen. We pulled this at 135*

DSCN0381.jpg

While the roast was cooking, he taught me how to make Creme Citron to fill in these little tartlets. It was all great!

DSCN0380.jpg

Thanks again.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The lamb looked fantastic! Looks like you had a great day.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Man, that looks great. Any chance of sharing the sauce recipe? :)
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    If you mean the Creme Citron, I'll try...

Set out two sticks of unsalted butter and let soften at room temperature. Cut into pads and set aside.

In a 1 qt. sauce pan, bring to slight boil, the juice from 6 lemons and the zest from one lemon. Keep warm.

Using a mixing bowl and a wisk, cream 7 or 8 egg yolks with about 1/3 cup sugar. Once fully creamed and pale in color, add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and wisk constantly while cooking in a double boiler or bain marie. Wisk the mixture until thickened enough to hold a line on the back of a spoon. Be careful not to scramble the eggs.

Then temper the egg/sugar mixture with some of the hot lemon juice. Before putting the tempered mixture back into the remainder of the hot juice, taste it and withhold any remaining lemon juice necessary to balance the sweetness and tartness of the lemon flavor that you prefer.

Keeping the mixture over heat, start adding all of the butter pads slowly, while wisking vigerously. Once all the butter has melted and combined into the mixture, pour it into cooled puff pastry tartlet shells, right away. (If shells are warm, it may cause the Creme Citron to break)

Top with tiny mint leaf ends. Referigerate and then serve cold.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Sauce for lamb as follows...

Reduce a cup of double cream to about half, then add 1-1/2 or 2 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard, and stir til combined. Use the mustard that has those big mustard seeds floating around in it, like this...

DSCN0382.jpg Makes the sauce real pretty too.

Hope this helps.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Wow, looks like a great meal :)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Meal looks great! Lamb and lemon Creme Citron! What were the sides?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    The creme citron was a nice sweet/tart flavor to finish with after the lamb.

Actually we didn't make any sides. This was a cooking lesson for me (literally). After tasting everything, pairing with different wines and taking pictures, we proceeded to learn some more knife skills (mostly sissy little garnishes). Next week's lesson...how to make consomme, and maybe a casoulet using my BGE again.

Boneless leg of lamb, cooked with smoke, definately falls in my catagory of favorites.