Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three butts prepared three different ways

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother had a party this weekend, and I provided the q. I bought three Boston Butts and decided to prepare each one a different way.[p]One was marinated a few hours in Lawry's Hawaiin style marinade. One was rubbed with mustard and a simple rub I threw together (with unmeasured amounts of brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper garlic powder and onion powder).[p]The third was simply rubbed with adobo.[p]They all cooked well, and I had no problems with the fire going out or anything like that. By the next morning, they all looked alike - I mean they all had a nice dark crust.[p]When I served them, I couldn't tell which was which, but they all tasted great (and everyone at the party loved my pulled pork). I'm beginning to think more and more that what you put on your meat isn't as important as how you cook it (low and slow, keep it simple!) [p]Also, I didn't use a Polder at all this time (I guess I'm REALLY being sacreligious today!) :) My Polder has been acting funny lately. It's probably the battery, but I haven't had a chance to buy a new one. So I just checked them with an instant read a couple of times Saturday morning. I figure if you're going to cook a 7 lb piece of meat slowly, the temperature is not going to be checked until it's cooked for 8-10 hours. I guess I'll eventually buy a new battery and use it again, but I know that I don't need it. I guess people cooked perfect barbecue for centuries before digital probes were invented.

Comments

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I ditto your behavior with the polder. It was a great security blanket at first, but I find all I want is a pocket instant read.
  • BLuesnBBQ, a tip ol' C~W used to chime in here would be to merely remove and re-insert your battery. That may actually solve the problem as the contact points can get corroded and the neeked eye can't see it!

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    BLuesnBBQ,[p]I agree wholeheartedly with your findings! On a roast this size, the rub/marinade is the least important aspect. All rubs and marinades only penetrate 5mm(less than 1/4") and will have very little impact on the overall flavor of these large, thick cuts of meat.[p]Stogie[p]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BLuesnBBQ, heresy. The Grand EGGquisitioner will be coming along for you soon to find you guilty of the following:
    1. Making insidious remarks casting doubts on our time-honored methods of rubbing, marinading and otherwise mucking up our meat before cooking.
    2. Cooking pulled pork without a polder so you cannot pull it at exactly 205 +/- .5 degree.
    3. Posting on pulled pork without invoking the name of the Honorable Elder Ward.[p]Shame on you. The Green Gods will evoke their wrath upon you. ;-)[p]Actually, I wound up doing 24 butts last night (4 cookers)for a church dinner tonight. I only used mustard and a little rub because I just didn't have time to do a lot with it. What little I ate as I pulled them off seemed pretty good. I guess I get to find out tonight when we eat. (Luckily, I had someone willing to do all the pulling. I just delivered them thsi morning wrapped in foil.)