Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pans Of Water

Options
Semolina Pilchard
Semolina Pilchard Posts: 768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read a few threads of people getting burned by steam when opening the egg. What was the lowest dome temp where someone was burned. Since water boils at 212 I am guessing it can happen even during a 225-250 degree cook.

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I have not heard anyone getting burned by the steam, but I have heard about putting getting burned by flashback.

Greg
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Yes, almost everyone has had an experience with flashback, but I have heard a few, and only a few stories on here about steam. As for flashback, I have not had one in a long time since I started doing what The Naked Whiz now recommends on his site. In a nutshell, you open both vents wide open for about 10 seconds before opening the egg. Just before I open the egg I adjust the vents back to where they were, or else I forget and leave them wide open.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I got a nasty steam burn the first time I used a drip pan filled with water. I posted an entry on here somewhere on here about it. I think mine was at a higher temp than 225 but it really surprised me and I've been extra careful since then.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    perfect reason why a good pair of welders gauntlets or leather work gloves are a first eggcentual eggcessorie...... after all we are playing with fire so be safe.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    steam burns can occur with veggies (summer squash, eggplant, anything super-waterlogged), ABTs, paella (after adding the broth)...

need to be careful.

as for water pans, i really don't think there's any reason to use them in the egg. they keep other smokers a bit more steady in temp, and act as thermal mass. both of those things are provided by the egg already. the notion that water somehow keeps things more moist is a fallacy, though. in short, i usually use aluminum foil to catch drippings, and then throw it out. no real need for the water pan, IMHO
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante